Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm looking forward to this, but I think it's still theaters only, which isn't really an option here.

Reviews I've seen have suggested it's really good, but doesn't really take its premise as far as it could and never gets past anything you've probably already seen/imagined in a Bond movie. Which, if that's the worst case, will still make for an entertaining two hours or so.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reviews I've seen have suggested it's really good, but doesn't really take its premise as far as it could and never gets past anything you've probably already seen/imagined in a Bond movie. Which, if that's the worst case, will still make for an entertaining two hours or so.
I get the "it's a better James Bond" critics, or at least up to a certain point - if you ignore the core topic of the movie. But as you said - even then: that's still a damn good movie.
Personally, I like it better with every day that passed, and I can't stop thinking about certrain aspects and find myself googling some details about it. I do want to see it again now, with the additional kowledge. (Mind you: I never had the feeling i was "missing" some information - i just know more know.)

What's a bit problematic is the big hype about it - it's the first big blockbuster since the lockdown and it triggers the "reopening" of the cinemas (at least in Europe). It has been postponed three times due to Covid, so the pressure and the expectations were rising and rising - impossible to live up to that. I realize my wording in the initial post does not help with this at all. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
No drive-in within driving distance? It's a pretty fun experience.
Space is at a bit of a premium out here. I'm aware of a chinese restaurant out on Rt. 1 that's running a drive-in in their parking lot, but they're going for maximum cheese factor (the GF saw Mamma Mia, or possibly even the sequel, there a month back) rather than new releases. That's about it.

I get the "it's a better James Bond" critics, or at least up to a certain point - if you ignore the core topic of the movie.
Though, again, the major criticism of the reviews I've seen is that while it's a fun movie, the action never really lives up to or fully explores the premise. I still am looking forward to seeing it, and will be curious what I come away from it thinking.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I got excited because Tenet was a project that was meant to happen with Jed Simon (SYL), Pat Lachman (Halford/Damageplan) and Adrian Erlandsson (At the Gates/The Haunted).

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Got to see this with my film club buddies at the IMax theatre. Amazing spectacle of a film visually and sonically, I can see why Christopher Nolan insists people to watch in a theatre. The acting is fantastic. Kenneth Branagh has a talent of chewing everyone around him no matter how good they are, and Robert Pattinson once again shows he's got some great acting chops. That said, it's not for casual film viewers and needs a second or third viewing to get a grasp of what's going on.

The film blurs the traditional 3 act structure and moves at such a breakneck speed that it doesn't give you nor the characters time to breathe. As a result, it's probably the most emotionally detached movie Nolan has ever made. I guess Tenet was made to actively challenge the you on questioning the perception of how a traditional movie is shown in the most needlessly complicated way possible, something we'd expect from Nolan by now.

Considering he lost me at Insterstellar and Dark Knight Rises, and even my staunch fanatic Nolan friends told me don't bother with Dunkirk, I'll take Tenet just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts