Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need some more good time-wasting threads around here, so lets all take this quiz... For those who don't read the magazine, it's a short set of questions they put to a name guitarist every month about all the minutae of their gear and playing.

1) Do you have a type of pick you can't live without?
2) If you had to give up all of your pedals but three, what would they be?
3) Do you play another instrument well enough to be in a band?
4) If a music chart was put in front of you, could you read it?
5) Do cables make a difference? What make are yours?
6) Is there anyone's playing, past or present, that you're slightly jealous of?
7) Your house/studio is burning down: which guitar do you salvage?
8) What's your favourite amp, and how do you set it?
9) What kind of action do you have on your guitars?
10) What strings do you use?

Ok, I'll go first...

1) Dunlop Jazz III in black. I find anything else really uncomfortable now. The only other picks I use are little 0.73 tortex ones for strummy acoustic stuff.
2) Boss DD3, Marshall Supervibe Chorus, and either a Boss phaser or flanger. I like delay for the rhythmic possibilities, and the way it fills out a lead tone. The Marshall chorus I like for the detune effect, with no modulation...it really fills out clean and distorted sounds nicely. On top of that, I like the expressive possibilities of phasers and flangers.
3) Bass, although I'm pretty sporadic with my practicing, so I'd probably have to bottle down and do some serious woodshedding beforehand.
4) I can follow chord charts pretty fluently, but struggle with sight-reading notation. I could read it, but would have to go through it first if I was going to play it back.
5) Yes, they definitely do, although I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what brand my current ones are.
6) All the usual suspects...Lane, Holdsworth, Guthrie, Johnson, Borderick etc.
7) My old blue Jackson six-string. My first nice guitar, and still one of my favourites to play.
8) Actually, I just use a POD, mainly the JC120 (for cleans), Dual Rectifier (for rhythm), and SLO (for lead) simulations.
9) Pretty low for legato playing, although not low enough to the point where it buzzs or frets out when I dig in with the pick or some extreme bends. I think of it as 'comfortable'.
10) D'Addario or Ernie Ball, with Elixirs for the acoustic. Currently it's 9-46 with a 62 on the bottom on my sevens, tuned down a half-step, 10-52 on my sixes tuned down a whole step, and 11, 15, 22w, 30, 42, 52 on my acoustic and semi-acoustic guitars.

Fire away!

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Good idea dude, gotta love a good time waster. :yesway:

Jazz III's

PODXT Live (obviously :lol:), Digitech Whammy (the XP100 rather than my other newer version) and my Crybaby Wah.

Bass, used to play a mean recorder solo too. :lol:

Rhythm wise I could but since I stopped playing piano reguarly my sight reading has crumbled, I blame tabs. :lol:

Almost certainly, can I afford shit hot ones? No, what do I have? Various...

I don't really get jealous of better players, more inspired to practice harder/more often.

My K7.

Don't own a real amp at the moment so I can't comment, all I've had are crappy SS Marshalls.

Relatively low.

Elixir Nanoweb .010 - .052 with a .068 tuned to B.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Good idea, DR. :yesway:

Yes, I like my Stagg .46mm picks. I find them thick enough to be able to handle technical rhythm parts, but not so thick that the sound muddies up.

I don't have exact models in mind, but I would retain reverb, distortion and chorus pedals.

I probably play bass better than I play guitar. :lol:

No chance.

Unfortunately, I'm too poor to be able to worry about cables. :(

People playing in a better fashion that me rarely inspires jealousy, only a desire to be better myself. :)

My ES335. Sure, it's no good for metal, but I adore it too much to see it scorched.

I don't actually have an amp, but my Deity's Son patch on my Pod sounds pretty good. I like a lot of mids to enable my parts to cut through the mix, and a fair amount of treble for top end bite.

High. I like to be able to hear the guitar ring without any buzzing, and I like to be able to dig in.

I use fairly light Ernie Ball strings because I have always found them to sound slightly more aggressive than heavier strings.

·
18,790 Posts
Dunlop Nylon 1mm, for guitar, bass, anything. It just feels right. :shrug:

For bass, I only use my MXR Bass DI+. For guitar, I would have a hard time living without some sort of delay, and either a chorus or flange effect.

I currently play bass in my band, have played guitar in previous bands, and could probably get away with keyboards in a band setting.

Yep, I'm fully able to read music.

They do, to a point. Something decently heavy guage (especially speaker wire) and shielded is important, and I'm a big fan of Neutrik ends. I use Digiflex cables right now, which are cheap but not too cheap.

Many people :lol: On bass, I've been listening to a lot of Ninjaspy and wishing I could play like Tim :lol:

That's a tough call...maybe my Seagull S12+.

My bass amp, my Ampeg SVT-3Pro. My EQ's set with lots of highs, a boost at 125Hz, a little boost at 800Hz, and a bit of a cut at around 1kHz.

Low, but not extremely low. Probably slightly higher than most people. It varies between my guitars. My Hellraiser and my Ibanez have lower action, my Strat and my bass are a little higher.

D'addario. Custom guages on guitar: 10.5-49 on my Strat, 10-64 on the Hellraiser, still experimenting with the Ibanez. The acoustic gets light strings, the bass gets 45-130.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Dunlop Delrin 500 1.5mm - Best overall pick I've found for both gtr and bass duties.

Bodenhamer Bloody Murder. Other than that, any multi fx pedal unit (cheating, I know...:))

Bass. Have spent a longer time as a bassist than playing gtr. If it were some Industrial/Electronic/Techno project, I could also play keys and trigger samples all day.

4 years of Jazz Ensemble in college will do that to you. I can't play legit anymore though. My professors always warned me: "use it, or lose it :nono:".

Definitely. But IMHO, after a certain price range it becomes a case of diminishing returns. Canare or Mogami cables with Neutrik connectors is what I use.

Never been "jealous" of anyone. But I've definitely been to a lot of shows where I wanted to get my ass home ASAP, to start practicing what I just saw on stage.

Jackson CS Soloist 7 with a clear coat finish. Otherwise someone from Poland is probably going to fly over here and hunt me down. :D

Don't have one. But I like messing around with a friend's Roland JC-120 to get my fusion tone on.

Medium height. Just so things dont bottom out if I do any bends around the 10th fret.

Whatever's on sale :D. Usually I end up getting Dean Markley or D'addario sets. LTHB (10-52). I'll add a 59 for a 7 string.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
not really... I prefer Jazz shaped picks and generally use 88mms, but in apinch I can use damned near anything.

Heh, I only use two pedals, a Line6 DL4 and a Chaos mod Tubescreamer, though I do have the obligatory Crybaby under my bed. In a pinch, the delay would be the last to go but I could go without them all.

Bass, and depending on the genre drums - like, I could TOTALLY sit in for Meg White. :D

my sight reading has gone to pot. A jazz chord chart, probably, but the melody line would be slow going.

In my experience yes, but not enough to freak out about. I've got a mixed bag at the moment, and am currently playing through an el cheapo cloth wound one from the local store.

Oh good lord yes. Where to begin? Jimi, Gilmour, Satch, Petrucci, Cooley, Quigley, half the members of this board.

My Strat. Partly because it's the one I couldn't do without, and partly because Chris would never forgive me.

My Rectoverb - I tend to set it for a smoother, bluesier lead tone than is normally associated with Rectos. It's fun. :D

Pretty low - I'm a legato guy.

Elixir Nanoweb .010 - .052 with a .068 low B

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Dunlp Jazz III

I dont use Pedals (stomp boxes) For Efects I only need Delay, Chorus and reverb

Bass (Duh)

Uhm no

I dont have a preferred brand - just so long as they are not broken

Jealous of? No but I admire a lot of players.

They are all insured so it dosnt matter but if I guess If I was going to grab on it would be my 87 RG 550

scooped with too much gain :D I dont have a fav as i have yet to find the perfect amp

As low as humanly possible without buzzing. Im talking 2MM or so at the 12th fret

only strings I have used for years are Blue Steel Custom Lights (9 -46) with a 56 for the Low B

·
Smokestack Lightning
218 Posts
Jazz III's

I don't use any pedals for now, but I'm hoping to pick up some soon or start building pedals. I'm gonna try to pick up or build a wah, a big muff-esque fuzz pedal, and some kinda of flanger or phaser.

Drums, bass, mallet percussion or any concert percussion, and I've done guest vocals on some old school hardcore covers that my friend's band does

Yep. My sightreading has gone to fuck as far as reading melody lines but I'm about to have to be reading a lot again. When I'm on top of my shit I can read jazz charts (head and chords), classical guitar music, and a touch of piano/solfege for school.

I don't think so and I couldn't tell you

Jealous isn't the right word. I motivate myself by seeing people play or by listening to music.

My tele, hands down

Haven't found my favorite, but I might get an Orange clone built for me. It depends on the musical situation as far as how I set it. Right now, my Bass, Mids, and Gain are totally cranked but that's because I'm playing in a hardcore punk/doom kinda band. It works.

Fairly low, but I don't really mess with the action at all

Ernie Ball Slinky's .10-.46. On the 7 string it's that set plus a .56. With classical stuff I go Pro Artes. On my acoustic I just grab whatever Martin strings.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Fender Classic Mediums - I have tried all kinds and always come back to the familiar.

I guess I'm cheating because I use a GT-10 I only need one - meaning effects - Probably a distortion, an equalizer and a compressor?

Does the skin flute count? :jj: I could probably sing well enough for a hardcore/Thrash/Death Metal band but not another instrument

Yes

I heard the difference a good quality cable can make but I'm too cheap to buy them

Not jealous - the running joke when me and my buddies hear someone like Loomis is that it's Jeff telling you to chop your guitars into firewood.

I would be fucked at this point I love everything I have basically although if it would give me a couple extra seconds I'd throw my 7321 and my JEMRB onto the fire and save the rest.

8) What's your favorite amp, and how do you set it?
I don't own my favorite amp. The amp I do own I set very flat for the GT-10

As low as humanly possible without buzzing or fretting out.

I use a lot of Dean Markleys but jump between brands from time to time - .008's - although I have a set of .009 boomers on my 7321 and that works ok also. I'm so interested in Elixers based all the guys playing them here - but no .008's :confused:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I've been using the Jazz III XL's for some time now and don't really see myself going back to anything different. I still use the occassional Dunlop Tortex (1mm) or maybe some Claytons but only when XL-less

Right now I only run 2 pedals and one of them is an EQ and the other being a tuning pedal so I guess I could save both and still owe myself a pedal before feeling guilty

No, guitar is my main forte and I don't have the funds for a separate instrument that won't see full use in comparison to my guitars

I could probably read it and then tell you what the notes were but if I were to be handed it and immediately play it - no

A small amount but an amount I guess. I'm running Monster Cables right now against my will considering it was all the store had and I was desperate. I vastly prefer Planet Waves cables.

Yes. Gilbert, Satch, Eklundh, etc etc...

Right now I've only got 3 guitars in total and only 2 see usage so out of those 2 I'd say my Intrepid gets saved. After that I go back in for the Mesa Mark III.

Not really sure what my "favorite" amp is. Probably a Triple Rec for the sheer individuality of each channel. Run Channel 1 for a nice smooth clean, give Channel 2 that kind of alternative rock sound that's not too hard, and then have Channel 3 be your balls out pushed metal channel.

Ridiculously low but high enough that theres not buzzing or anything

Depends on the application. Acoustic(s) I use D'Addario 11's, on my six string Electric if I'm running it in C# like I do then Ernie Ball Slinky 11-52's and pretty soon I'm gonna need to pick up a custom set for my 8 string - most likely D'Addario .0095's (9 and a half gauge)

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I using 1.5mm Phat Cats right now and like them a lot.
I only really use a Boss GT-8. So only one pedal to keep.
I barely play one instrument well enough to be in a band. :lol:
Sadly not.
Yes but I refuse to be too anal about it.
I have many who inspire me like Ty Tabor, Vernon Reid, John Sykes and Jake E Lee but I can't say I'm jealous.
7) Your house/studio is burning down: which guitar do you salvage?'
My Drop Bear equipped Loomis.
I use a GT-8 I would hate to reprint the sounds I programmed into most of which are two different models in stereo.
I keep it low.
I'm always switching strings. I am interested in a set like Drew mentioned and Dan uses as well .010 -.052 with something .065 - .070 for the low B.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Pickboy Nylon66 1.00mm - The ONLY pick I use (besides a 0.70mm or 0.50mm of the same pick)

I don't use pedals anymore.

I used to play alto saxophone. Dunno if my lip could manage it anymore.

For sax/in general? Probably. Guitar? Nope.

To a small degree, yes. Monster Performer 500 Rock series (Only cuz I bought them with employee discount, and for their return policy)

Jon Schaffer

My '89 Jackson RR1 Custom (2nd would be the Japanez)

My TriAxis - All 10s, no mids!! :fawk:

Low - 2mm on bass side @ 14th fret, 1.5mm on treble side.

Dean Markley Nickelsteel Custom Lights 9-46 (+56)

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
Otherwise someone from Poland is probably going to fly over here and hunt me down. :D
:wavey:

Planet Waves Delrin 0.69 + I cut it to make it sharper...
What pedals ? I don't have any :rofl:
No
Hell No
I don't know... I use some cheap :Red's Music" cable for 2 years now, It's quite good.. but probably I just can't tell the difference
Jealous ... I'm jealous when I see some good classical players, because I just can't play anything classical... other than that ... Zakk Wylde :) Marty Friedman hmmm.... Rick :wub:
Duh .... the Jackson COW 7 in the greatest finish Desert Camo :D
I have a Behringer 15W :rofl: .. but from what I heard, I really like the sound of the Marshall JMP 1 and the Kerry King model ... and some Randalls, and obviously Krank :ugh:
Really LOW ... like .. Lee Low
D'Addario 9-54

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
For guitar, Dunlop Jazz III. Dunno what the difference between red and black are, but I have a big bag of the reds that I pull from. For bass, it needs to be full-sized and fairly stiff, but I don't care beyond that.

Tuner pedal (perfect pitch has it's curses!), homemade RAT clone, Line 6 DL4

I play bass in three bands, and cello in a number of groups as well. Starting to get my vocals going too, although I'm nowhere near lead singer territory yet.

Read it, yes. I could probably play it on cello and maybe bass, but if it was too complex I'd have a problem with guitar.

They do, and my long cable is a Monster somethingorother. Everything else are random patches and other cables that I picked up from various places.

Criss Oliva, Brian May, Gilmour, Gilbert, Schaffer, Drew

Assuming my cello is safe, I'd probably rescue... fuck, it's like choosing between my children... I'm torn between the RG565 (because it's so uniquely worn and plays so well), the ESP Mirage (because it sounds so great), my SLSMG (because it was my first) and the Warmoth Lee gave me, because it sounds and looks so fucking awesome :(

I'd probably save the Mirage or the Warmoth though.

Budda Superdrive 30; treble, middle, bass at noon, drive at 10 o'clock, master and rhythm channel volume tweaked to the room and application.

Depends: for my RG and SLSMG, as low as I can get it, allowing some buzz along the way. Otherwise, 1.5mm to 2mm, as standard.

Elixirs. 9-42 on RG and SLSMG, 10-46 on Warmoth and ESP, 10-46+56 on my Septor 7.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Dunlop Tortex 1.14 (Purple)

2) If you had to give up all of your pedals but three, what would they be? I only own one pedal now (not including my POD), so just my Boss DS-1:lol:

Yes, Bass guitar
Fuck No, unless it were just simple melody lines in 8th notes, anything harder and no way.

I think they do. I use Core One Core X2 cables

Yes, plenty of players. Joe Satriani, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Wes Montgomery, Jerry Cantrell to name a few

My Brian Moore Guitars I12000 series most likely
Pretty much any amp I happen to be borrowing at the time:lol:
Usually just put the POD in the effects loop to warm it up with the amps tubes and I'm set.

Pretty low, but not ultra super low though.

Still experimenting with various brands, currently leaning towards Dean Markley Blue Steels 9-54 and Elixirs 9-54 (sometimes 56 too, works better for drop A)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
1: Jazz III
2: I dont use pedals, N/A
3: Bass
4: Not fast enough to play it, at tempo, but yeah
5: Yes, but only to a degree.
6: Michael Romeo
7: The Loomis
8: Havent played enough different amps to be definitive on this, but all my favorites have been mesas.
9: Low as shit
10: I dont care about brand, guage is more important. having a .62-70 for my Low B is essential though.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts

"Cool" brand jazz picks in 1.0mm

GT-8, Bloody Murder, ISP Decimator. That's all I have. :lol:

No.

Slowly. :lol:

After a certain price point, not IMO. I have Core X2 and Whirlwind cables. Cheap = junk, super expensive = hype.

Kiko Loureiro.

My silver RG750.

Laney. Pretty nuetral settings, use external EQing to get options.

Stupidly fucking low. As close to 1mm as I can get at the 12th.

Webstrings 9-46

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts

I've recently found these Dunlop 1.14mm ones which are the size of a Jazz III, but made with less plasticcy/glossy material, can't remember the exact names but they are the picks I use for everything now

Well I don't have a massive amount, I use a bit of rack gear for my stuff, but if I had to have 3, it would be ISP decimator, HBE Germania (Treble booster), and my MIDI pedal. I like no noise, I like boosted leads, and I like to change channels, anything else is just me being a twat :D

I can play bass pretty well, the odd bit of slapping, pretty fast fingerstyle, and a funk sensibility too. Simply put, I can play more than just functional bass :). Anything else? Not particularly, I can hit a few drums, and I can hold a few chords on keyboards, but thats about it.

Not really, I know a fair few chords but not an insane amount (more than just open and barre, but not quite up to jazz master standards), and reading music I can do it VEERRRRRY slowly

They make enough of a difference if you are really paying fine attention to detail. However, when theres enough gain involved, it is negligible. I personally make my own, Klotz cable, with Neutrik jacks for my main leads, and Amphenol for my rack gear.

Not sure, I like my playing style. I think if I could get a handle on sweeps and alternate picking properly (rather than being legato/tapping to be quick), I wouldn't look up to anyones playing really.

The LTD M207, until I get a KXK Sii-7 (damn you James :() this is the best sounding and playing one in my collection.

My Invader. I set it to be lowish gain, lots of mids, lots of presence, a lot of treble, and not too much bass.

James will attest to after playing my M207, its WAY higher than most metal players. I tend to have everything lower at the lower frets, and higher up the neck. Helps with digging into bends I find.

GHS Boomers (besides the extras I have to get, as GHS dont sell singles over here in big enough sizes :(), they last a long time while still sounding good, me likes :)

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm
TS808, TS2, loop switcher - not a pedal, but a gadget.
Drums in Division, guitar in Seventh Son
VERY slowly.
Yes, but not much once you get past the shitty ones. George L's.
Complete blues guys like SRV, finger pickers like Jerry Reed, Paco. Basically, anybody who can play a complete musical piece w/o the need of accompaniment.
One week it's apples - my modded Gibson V, the next week it's oranges - my Warmoth Strat.
Mesa Roadster. Ch1 clean. Ch2 Brit with a TS7 (maiden rhythms). Ch3 vintage for leads, with TS808. Ch4 Modern for metal with ts808
Medium on my strat. Low on my Gibson
xl125 (9-46) on my strat, xl140 (10-52) on my gibson. Looking for a balance between the different scales.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts