Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own one?

I'm looking for a cheapy, to kick around and fuck with oddball tunings. Something around $500 or less.

I see this:

Agile AL-2800 Baritone Silverburst at HomeOld

And this:

Agile AB-3500 Baritone at Home

Both which, unfortunately, have active pickups which I can't stand. There aren't any Ibby's on eBay, and I don't like LTDs.

What other options are out there, and otherwise - how are these Agiles?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reason #239847932 that I do not like EMGs. This:

I'm sure that somewhere in there, there might be some decent playing, but my goodness that tone is fucking horrible.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Im pretty sure those arent actives buddyboi

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Reason #239847932 that I do not like EMGs. This:

YouTube - Agile AL2800 Baritone - Free Style Improve 1

I'm sure that somewhere in there, there might be some decent playing, but my goodness that tone is fucking horrible.
Im certain its more the amp and the fact its going thru a camera. :lol:

All I can tell you is I actually I picked up a silverburst Agile Lp tonight. :lol: And its very loud acoustically.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say get whichever you prefer the specs of, other than pickups, since it's just for dicking around. Then, if you like it enough, grab some used pickups on the cheap to stick in it :yesway:
The problem is, I have two guitars that I really like that need pickups, plus something_to_be_determined coming up for the original Edge that I got from Lee, so I really don't want to throw another $200 in pickups at a beater. :lol:

Is there a better bang for your buck bari out there than the agiles, in that price range?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I owned a Septor 727 for a while. Fit and finish was between a Schecter and a MIM Strat. The low B was nice and tight, and it played well and sounded quite good. Only sold it cause I wasn't playing sevens.

I've heard that the Agile LPs are the best of the best of what they make though, and they seem to be pretty highly regarded wherever you go. Generally you're going to want to swap the pickups, but regardless they're pretty awesome guitars. I'd go for the LP one for that reason.

You might also be able to find a Schecter 26.5" scale C-1EX, or C-1 Blackjack EX. They're discontinued, but are awesome and come up cheap.

The only better bang-for-the-buck bari I can think of would be the PRS SE Mushok.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I owned a Septor 727 for a while. Fit and finish was between a Schecter and a MIM Strat. The low B was nice and tight, and it played well and sounded quite good. Only sold it cause I wasn't playing sevens.

I've heard that the Agile LPs are the best of the best of what they make though, and they seem to be pretty highly regarded wherever you go. Generally you're going to want to swap the pickups, but regardless they're pretty awesome guitars. I'd go for the LP one for that reason.

They certainly smoke the Epiphone LP Baritones that were out for a while. You might also be able to find a Schecter 26.5" scale C-1EX, or C-1 Blackjack EX. They're discontinued, but are awesome and come up cheap.
It's odd, I played maybe a dozen Agiles, and hated every one of them. No offense, but your 8 string felt cheap as hell to me.

Then I played Angel's Agile, and that thing was absolutely awesome. I'm always kind of hard on them because a) I hate their logo and b) I had so many bad experiences with them before I played a good one.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Septor 727 I owned and the AL-3100 I've played were on a totally different level to that Intrepid, Chris.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chris said:
Hm, I forgot about the PRS SE:

PRS SE Mike Mushok Model (Silver Burst) | Sweetwater.com

Edit: Bah, out of stock.
There's no reason to get an Agile when the Mushok is barely more, and will fucking slay an Agile, and comes with one of the nicer gig bags I've ever owned. The Schecters aren't bad, but at 26.5" it's barely a bari. The longer scale makes a difference.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's no reason to get an Agile when the Mushok is barely more, and will fucking slay an Agile, and comes with one of the nicer gig bags I've ever owned. The Schecters aren't bad, but at 26.5" it's barely a bari. The longer scale makes a difference.
I have played both and wouldn't go as far as slaying. Imo.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The SE gig back fucking rocks :lol:

That alone would push me towards the Mushok. And it hangs more like a Strat so you'd be used to it; LPs put the neck in a weird place for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts