Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed by the luthier that does all of my set-ups that I should investigate into heavier strings for my guitar. His reason for this suggestion was the fact that I tune down to D standard, but use a .042-.010 set of strings. He suggested that I use at least a .052-.050 for the low E keep the high e at a .010. Are there custom string sets of this sort available online?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Informed by your luthier... :roll2:

Do you find any of your strings too loose or tight at your tuning?
When he dropped the action like I asked him to, the strings were way to floppy and buzzing in D. I had him give it a sort of mid ground so that the strings work really well in D and are only a little tighter in E.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Ah. Well, you can go to an 11 set which will feel very nice in D standard, or if you like the slinkiness of the high strings (which should still get reasonable action without much buzz even if a bit floppy) you can go with a light top/heavy bottom set like recommended earlier, 10-52 or so.

My favorite is the D'Addario 11-49 "blues/jazz rock" set, very balanced and great in D standard at normal scale lengths.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Ah. Well, you can go to an 11 set which will feel very nice in D standard, or if you like the slinkiness of the high strings (which should still get reasonable action without much buzz even if a bit floppy) you can go with a light top/heavy bottom set like recommended earlier, 10-52 or so.

My favorite is the D'Addario 11-49 "blues/jazz rock" set, very balanced and great in D standard at normal scale lengths.
Elixir makes an 11-49 set too. I kinda wish it was 11-52... that small change in feel makes a huge difference for me on the low strings.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
10-52's might not be a bad idea.

I typically use 9's for shredder type guitars, and 10's for PRS and Gibson type guitars in standard tuning. I usually drop one gauge from there when I drop a tuning.

I really dig 11's in drop C. My Caparison Angelus HGS came with 12's for standard b tuning, and it really works great with 10-52's in drop C.

Try a set of 10-52's. I think you'll really like them.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
10-52s are generally my choice for D or Drop C tuning. I find it nice and balanced on most scale lengths.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I find especially on the lower strings, my gallops and other rhythm work is much clearer, tighter, and easier to play when the string is taut.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Ive been using 10-52s in E on and off (about 95% of the time) since i started playing guitar, and they kick ass

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Ive been using 10-52s in E on and off (about 95% of the time) since i started playing guitar, and they kick ass
CAN YOU GET THEM IN ELIXIRS SIR?

DO THEY DJENT?

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Here's Vince with the opposite opinion :lol:

I love 9s. I use 'em even with D tuning. Dude, with low action you FLY around the neck fast as crazy on 9s. I never had a problem with tone either. Now anything lower than D, yeah you need heavier strings, and I will say that a lot of times I did prefer 9-46 as opposed to 9-42s, but man I've got to have 9 gauge strings for the lightest 3 strings or I'm just not going to play like myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts