Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, my curiousity has been peaked lately about the following heads...
2010 Road King II
2010 Roadster Multi Watt
2010 Triple Recto

Of these, it seems like the Roadster would be the best choice. I like having 4 good channels (uber clean, classic crunch, marshallesque hi gain, mesa hi gain) & the ability to solo boosts any channel, so the obvious choice is the road king or roadster. From my understanding, the roadster is a road king without progressive linkage & about 800 cheaper, correct?

I hear that due to the 150W of the triple, the cleans are awesome, but with the wattage thing, I can drop the hi gain channel to 50W to keep my volumes managable.

Anyway, I'm sure the new redesigned roadster would be the ideal mesa for me, but I'm curious if the other amps I mentioned have any other advantages I'm overlooking.

·
18,790 Posts
And thus, the test of the Axe-FX against the temptations and desires of the ultimate gear whore comes to a conclusion :lol:

That said, it sounds like the Roadster would be right up your alley, and you might find the Stiletto mod (changes the EQ pots on channel 2, I believe, to get it to perform like one of the channels on the Stiletto amps) useful too.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
150W still puts out manageable volume, you're just going to have everything tighter and punchier. I don't run anything on my roadster in 50W except for maybe ch2; everything just sounds fuller and better in 100W mode.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Shannon :lol:

The Triple rec, road king, and Roadster are head and shoulders above other Mesas if you like the recto sound. If you want a tighther Marshall-esque sound it's the stilletto, and if you want more of a focused gain with the same booming Mesa low end you're looking at the Mark series or Triaxis/2:90.

I've played on many rectos now, and the Roadster and Triple Rec have very similiar clean channels. I don't know why, but the basic Dual Rec head had just a stale sounding clean sound, especially in comparison.

Of course you have all these in your Axe FX and just need a good tube power amp :agreed:

But who am I to judge your gear ADD :vince:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
What he's saying is, "stiletto mod a 2010 roadster"

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol: Well, let's not start this thread off on an assumption. I still love my fractal/atomic rig.

However, I'm just curious to try some other stuff out. I'm doing well enough that I have enough $ to check out other amps & honestly, I've spend way more $ on guitars over the years than on amps. So, while I can always dump more $ into another guitar, I've been thinking of adding to my amp/rig arsenal. Since a lot of you are mesa nuts, I figured i'd ask. While the axe-fx is insanely awesome, sometimes, you just want an old school "plug & play" amp, ya know? So, since I have the best processor out there, why not check out some of the better tube heads out there?

Back on topic....
One of the main reasons I like processors is because I can get my sound at relatively low volumes. I know with tube amps, you've got to crank them up to get them to blossom. While I know high wattage does great for cleans at lower volumes, high wattage for hi gain means blowing out ear drums to get the saturation desired. So with that in mind, that's why I'm asking about the triple recto vs the road king & roadster.

So is the progressive linking the only difference between the road king & roadster, or are their tonal difference as well?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
check out used.guitarcenter.com I always find killer deals on there, especially when I am broke :lol: For example I just found this baby:

For $649 :wallbash:
I'm willing to bet it is a Series 1, which sounds like ass. The Series 2 ate the resale value on the old ones.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yep, that's a stage 1. The low end is like a wet dishrag, and their isn't enough gain.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm willing to bet it is a Series 1, which sounds like ass. The Series 2 ate the resale value on the old ones.
And this is why I'm mostly interested in the newer 2010 redesigned Mesas (the Series or Mk II "whatever they call it") since they addressed many of the issues that made me not want a Mesa. Cleaner cleans, less fizzy/buzzy distortion.

Read my initial post & talk to me, Dave! :)

And the Stiletto is out because with all the cover stuff I do, I need 4-channel for a wide array of tones, although I could scuff by with 3-channels if the Triple has more appealing advantages.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The clean on the older Triple is still awesome. I don't hear any improvements, honestly. They're certainly not buzzy, either. In my experience, the "Recto fizz" comes from guys playing in their apartments, since it is gone the second you get it at gig volume. It is literally the best metal amp in the Recto line.

However, the Roadster would be the best choice for what you're doing. My short lived rock project saw me living on the first two channels 90% of the time. Ch2/Brit is ridiculously versatile. With my guitar's volume knob, a modded tube screamer, a modded DS-1, and the amps's solo boost got me a whole range of useful rhythm and lead tones. In Division, I rarely touched that channel. The reverb isn't spectacular, but it is usable. For a cover band gig, I could have lived with just that halfstack, a wah, the TS, the DS-1, and a good chorus.

However, I could argue that you could do the exact same thing with the Stiletto. Throw out Ch2/Fluid Drive, and the Stiletto is basically a blues/rock amp. I could do everything I was describing above with that amp, and (arguably) better, since the power section gives it more of that old Marshall vibe. Really, the questions comes down to, "Do I need four channels for one gig?" After all, if you don't, then you can switch modes/settings between gigs. My biggest concern with the Stiletto was not having a separate eq section for rhythm and lead, but that got shot down after spending several weeks at rehearsal with my buddy's amp, before taking the plunge. The Stiletto clean is much, much louder than the Recto, so I can run the dirty channel's master a lot higher, really juicing the power section. So, when I step on the solo boost, it saturates nicely, smoothing out the top end and mushing out the bottom, which lets the mids bloom. It basically accomplishes what I was doing with two channels on the Roadster. I cannot say enough good things about the amp, especially if you have a Recto in the band. Stiletto + Recto = awesome, complex rhythm tone. Then again, Mesa engineered it to fit into a two guitar band in exactly this way. ;)

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The clean on the older Triple is still awesome. I don't hear any improvements, honestly. They're certainly not buzzy, either. In my experience, the "Recto fizz" comes from guys playing in their apartments, since it is gone the second you get it at gig volume. It is literally the best metal amp in the Recto line.
So how loud do you have to be before the fizz goes away? With my gigs, I like a decent amount of volume, but it's better to let the PA fill the room rather than blow everyone away that's within 20 feet of the stage. We're talking mid-sized clubs here.

However, the Roadster would be the best choice for what you're doing. My short lived rock project saw me living on the first two channels 90% of the time. Ch2/Brit is ridiculously versatile. With my guitar's volume knob, a modded tube screamer, a modded DS-1, and the amps's solo boost got me a whole range of useful rhythm and lead tones. In Division, I rarely touched that channel. The reverb isn't spectacular, but it is usable. For a cover band gig, I could have lived with just that halfstack, a wah, the TS, the DS-1, and a good chorus.
I think the Roadster is where I'm headed. Is the progressive linkage on the Road King really worth the extra 800?

And lastly, have you heard any real tonal differences between the Roadster head & 2x12 combo version? If I bought the Roadster head, I'd most likely use a 2x12 or two 1x12 cabs anyway, so I'm wondering if the 2x12 combo would be an equal option.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
So how loud do you have to be before the fizz goes away? With my gigs, I like a decent amount of volume, but it's better to let the PA fill the room rather than blow everyone away that's within 20 feet of the stage. We're talking mid-sized clubs here.
Mine doesn't fizz at loud enough to cover the drums (about 9:00). Mine doesn't really fizz at all, because I keep the channel masters loud, the gain reasonable, and my hand off the damn presence control. :lol:

I think the Roadster is where I'm headed. Is the progressive linkage on the Road King really worth the extra 800?
Not unless you really have to have EL34s.

And lastly, have you heard any real tonal differences between the Roadster head & 2x12 combo version? If I bought the Roadster head, I'd most likely use a 2x12 or two 1x12 cabs anyway, so I'm wondering if the 2x12 combo would be an equal option.
The 2x12 combo has two problems:
1.) It has V30s in it (although you could order it with 90s)
2.) It weighs approx 11 tons.

A 2x12 cab and head would be much more easily portable. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
+1 to the weight of Mesa combos. The 1x12 Stiletto Ace weighs 85 lbs for a 50w 2ch head.

I shudder to think how much a larger 2x12 enclosure with bigger transformers would weigh. Plus, it's nice to have the tubes away from ground zero behind the speakers.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You'll be fine. It goes away by the time you get it loud enough to match the drums in volume. :yesway:

It also has two effects loops and speaker cabinet switching, but no one ever uses that. :lol: I think it is absolutely worth it if you want to mix and match 6L6 and EL34 tubes in the power section, but if you don't, then who cares?

The 2x12 combo is a fully closed back, so it is really no different than a head and 2x12 setup. It sounds different than a halfstack, but you already know that a 2x12 and 4x12 sound different. Considering you'll be close micing, though, there won't even be much of a difference between those.

The REAL drawback to the combo is weight. It weighs a friggin' ton, go with the head and separate cab.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
+1 to the weight of Mesa combos. The 1x12 Stiletto Ace weighs 85 lbs for a 50w 2ch head.

I shudder to think how much a larger 2x12 enclosure with bigger transformers would weigh. Plus, it's nice to have the tubes away from ground zero behind the speakers.
The heaviest thing I have ever lifted was a 2x12 Road King combo. It had to have been right at 100lbs.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine doesn't fizz at loud enough to cover the drums (about 9:00). Mine doesn't really fizz at all, because I keep the channel masters loud, the gain reasonable, and my hand off the damn presence control. :lol:
Do you zero out the presence?

The 2x12 combo has two problems:
1.) It has V30s in it (although you could order it with 90s)
2.) It weighs approx 11 tons.

A 2x12 cab and head would be much more easily portable. :lol:
Yeah, I hates me some V30s. For both of my 2x12 Rectos, I quickly replaced them with Eminence Swamp Thangs. Are V30 vs C90s like night & day? I'd like to heard more about the C90s in relation to these amps.

And yeah, weight is a big thing for me.

Has anyone tried the smaller Roadster cabs? How are they in relation to the Recto cabs?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts