Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I might want to use some modeling software instead of my POD for demos. What's out there that's good? Save me from buying an AXE-FX please!

Edit: needs to be ProTools compatible.

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
Ah, modeling software... I think I've used quite a few by now, frankly I keep coming back to just Guitar Rig although I never use the built-in cabinets. Alternatively, you could give one of LePou's free plugins a chance - they actually sound really good though the higher-gain models are of course -very- noisy so I hope you remember to have a noise gate! And a cabinet sim, since aside from HyBrit all of LePou's plugins are pretty much just 'head only'.

Now, I think LePou's plugins are just VST only(don't recall), but you shouldn't have a problem with things only being in ProTools format as FXpansion released a VST to RTAS 'adapter' a while back. I don't really use Pro Tools but I keep hearing that it's very, very much a good idea to look into this.

... Personally though, I think Guitar Rig would still be a good bet. A lot of people are saying Waves GTR is good but when I tried it I wasn't too taken with it. You'll kind of have to demo a few different programs until you find the one that you like.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool... thanks, I'll check those...

FWIW... I am only thinking about using this for demos, so it doesn't have to be release quality... for that I'll still mic up an amp or two.

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
Always the best quality you can get, I always say!

... Then again, I'm incredibly finicky with pretty much everything. I actually don't like amp modelers too much, but I don't have the money right now to get some good recording gear, etc.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm not that experienced with any modeling options, but I've recently startedd using them for practicing/recording due to the convenience.

Right now I'm using

TS808 plugin
Le pou Legion
Le pou Le Cab 2
Catharsis Recto Cab IRs

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I have Guitar Rig and Amplitube. Much prefer GR though I haven't really spent much time with Amplitube. Great sounds and some I'll probably use over a mic'd amp(mostly because I can't be very loud at home and my shit is more on the industrial side anyways).
The only issue I have with them is that the high gain models are REALLY noisy. But if you're just demoing, that shouldn't really be a problem for you.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
LePou's stuff is great, especially if it's just for demos and you don't feel like spending money on software to use just for scratch tracks.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
+1

Definitely look at Lepou's stuff; and since it's free you don't lose anything trying it out. I really dig it and have gotten some some fantastic results. Coupled with the right impulses it can be great.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
How do you guys reduce latency in Guitar Rig? Using the Kontrol board I can only get it down to like 8-10ms, which is still noticeable.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I think that has to do with your processing power and how you have the buffer set. I set my buffer at about 256 or something. I still get the tiniest bit of latency but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think that has to do with your processing power and how you have the buffer set. I set my buffer at about 256 or something. I still get the tiniest bit of latency but it doesn't really bother me.
My buffer is at like 128 or less, and my Mac has plenty of firepower. Maybe if I try plugging in directly and not use the Kontrol board it will reduce the lateny.

EDIT: My current signal chain is Guitar -> Kontrol -> Sound card -> Garageband. Maybe that has something to do with it

·
18,790 Posts
Pod Farm 2 works very smoothly in Pro Tools and sounds exactly like the POD X3, or maybe slightly better (there's some debate, at any rate, it doesn't sound worse :lol: ). And a ridiculous number of *-core albums in the last few years have featured it on all guitar/bass tracks :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
My buffer is at like 128 or less, and my Mac has plenty of firepower. Maybe if I try plugging in directly and not use the Kontrol board it will reduce the lateny.

EDIT: My current signal chain is Guitar -> Kontrol -> Sound card -> Garageband. Maybe that has something to do with it
Yeah, give it a try. That's what I do.
Now I just need to figure out how to record in real time with Guitar Rig since I don't really have a way to re-amp.

·
MOSHWITZ
23 Posts
Sup?

Say Matt,, I just kinda had this sort of conversation with a guy on another forum , so I c+p'd some of the stuff I pointed him to...enjoy:metal:

All these are great
ProductsAcmeBarGig :: AcmeBarGig

These are great
too,
and I really like the LE456
LePou Plugins

The best Tube screamer plugin

TS' Secret - BTE Audio

Nick Crow's 8105 + 7170+ Tube Driver

Nick Crow Lab

This is a kickin Engl 530 sim

TSE Plugins

Ignite amps NRR1

Ignite Amps NRR1 - FREE 3 ch. tube preamp (Windows VST 32bit) - Ultimate Metal Forum

Aradaz vst's

ARADAZ VST FREE: Download

the X-amp pack
...old but might be usefull
Guitar Amp Modeling • Information

here is a great forum for amp modeling..

Guitar Amp Modeling • Index page

Hope you can find some use out of these,,,,,,,
BTW,,,,Just get it over with,,,,,, buy the Ultra...Ya know you want it:cool::rofl:

MOSHON
DAVE

1 - 20 of 22 Posts