Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as a couple of you may or may not know, I moved to a new room in my apartment. In my old room, I hung String Swings all over the place, but the walls in the new one are made of a different material and it doesn't seem as stable, so while the one String Swing I hung did hold a guitar, I was worried about how long it'd continue to do so. So, since I have a bunch more floor space this time around, I'm looking at one of these:

Buy ProLine PLMS7 7 Guitar Folding Stand | Guitar Stands | Musician's Friend

Anyone own one? How's it work for you? Also, how far over the edge does a typical guitar stick out? If I slide my cab all the way up against my dresser, I figure I have about 20" available, so with a quoted footprint of 17" that should leave me about 3" of extra space. Should I be ok? I might be able to slide my dresser a few more inches, too...

Also, GC lists them for $79.99 (vs $69.99 here) - anyone had any luck getting them to price match in stores?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My 3-guitar one of those has my basses sticking out by about 2 to 3 inches. However, I had to slide my bass one out from the wall another 2 or 3 inches because the angle that it held the instruments at put the headstocks into the wall.

If you have the clearance, you should be fine. Acoustics might stick out further though.

And GC has been pretty good to me about price matching MF. They're owned by the same conglomerate anyways IIRC.

Construction-wise they're decent, not anything special. You might have to bend some tabs and stuff gently to get them to fit together, and sometimes you have to un-tighten and retighten things to get it to sit flat, but once it's set up and has instruments on it it's pretty solid.

EDIT: Just took a closer look at the picture you posted. Looks like they had similar assembly problems as I did! Look at the screw sticking out on the top because it's not quite perpendicular :lol:

That can be fixed, it just takes a little patience.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got a similar looking stand for 5 guitars, they don't stick out too much but my bass did jut out a bit more. My pointy headstocks are a bit over 3 inches from the stand, more like 4/5. The stands are fine but I tend to bang the guitars off each other a bit when putting them in and out when it's full. It's not a problem if you're careful but I'm not!

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these as well for live shows when I start gigging again. Are they pretty stable that they won't fall over on some of those "squishy" stages that have a little bounce to them?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I have the 5 guitar stand like this, and have some dings to prove it! :lol: Neckplates are the most to blame.

I also propped the part that holds the necks up a bit more by taping a stack of picks under the parts that touch the bottom. This makes it stand more vertically, so I could get it closer to the wall. :lol:

Good shot of mine here.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also propped the part that holds the necks up a bit more by taping a stack of picks under the parts that touch the bottom. This makes it stand more vertically, so I could get it closer to the wall. :lol:
Mind snapping a pic of that so I can see what you're talking about? I'll be wanting to do that too, I suspect.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Mind snapping a pic of that so I can see what you're talking about? I'll be wanting to do that too, I suspect.
No picture here (my roommate took her camera back) but the vertical bars that hold the neck brace both pivot and fold forward semi-flat on a pair of bolts, then swivels back to just past perpendicular when set up to hold the instruments. It sounds like he's put some picks right where the bars rest on the legs of the stand to make the neck brace sit more vertically.

You can see it on the side view of the stand above, the bolt where the front part hinges down at the bottom right of the frame.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Drew, you have to find the studs in your walls to hang swing strings dude. You can't just drill into plaster. :lol:

On topic: I have like 3 of the 7up ones somewhere that I used to use before I went all-wall. They work great.

·
EMERRRRRRRY!
720 Posts
I have one of the 5-guitar stands like that and it works great, the only complaint I have is that the bodies are close together so you have to make sure you're careful as you pick them up and put them back to avoid bumping them as well as the already-mentioned issue with long headstocks (basses) if it will be close to a wall.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I have one of the 5-guitar stands like that and it works great, the only complaint I have is that the bodies are close together so you have to make sure you're careful as you pick them up and put them back to avoid bumping them as well as the already-mentioned issue with long headstocks (basses) if it will be close to a wall.
:agreed:

Anything behind an acoustic is apt to get bumped quite regularly.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
:agreed:

Anything behind an acoustic is apt to get bumped quite regularly.
What they said. I've got the 7 guitar stand. That said 20" is going to make it tight to get the guitars in and out :2cents:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
If you really want to use wall-mounted hangers, you can use these:

They can hold up to 20kg(44lbs) per anchor in gypsen plates so 5 of these could probably hold you.;)
They look like this when they're mounted.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On topic: I have like 3 of the 7up ones somewhere that I used to use before I went all-wall. They work great.
You should totally sell one of those to me. :agreed:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I have the one that holds 7 guitars, but i use it to hold 4 (avoid scratching and nicking guitars as you pick them up).

I find that to be the best solution,

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet - thanks Toshiro!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'm waiting on a 5-guitar stand to replace the 2-person couch that doubled as the guitar spot. It'll be nice to have them out of the case, in my room, ready for action.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts