Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this beauty - Schecter Omen 7 with a Blaze in bridge - for christmas from my GF. Seller says it's a 25.5 scale (and that schecter has since changed omen 7 to 26.5), some say all omen 7 are 26.5 - will measure it myself when I get home from vacation.

Schecter Omen 7 by Anders Bornholm, on Flickr

Regardless, what does the scale affect? I've heard it plays a (large?) roll when downtuning... I know one of the reasons he sold it was to get a larger scale to downtune more (but he wound up getting an 8 instead :) ).

I'm having a hard time switching between my Cort m520 24.75) and my Ibanez saber (25.5) so my hands know there's a difference...

Another thing is strings. The ones on the schecter now are way to sloppy for a good chug on the low b and I really like the 10-54 set I put on the cort for downtuning even though I wound up keeping it in standard e. I like the bendability of the high strings 09-42 set on the ibanez though. Could I put some kind of hybrid set on the schecter without getting intonation problems?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Regardless, what does the scale affect? I've heard it plays a (large?) roll when downtuning... I know one of the reasons he sold it was to get a larger scale to downtune more (but he wound up getting an 8 instead :) ).

I'm having a hard time switching between my Cort m520 24.75) and my Ibanez saber (25.5) so my hands know there's a difference...

Another thing is strings. The ones on the schecter now are way to sloppy for a good chug on the low b and I really like the 10-54 set I put on the cort for downtuning even though I wound up keeping it in standard e. I like the bendability of the high strings 09-42 set on the ibanez though. Could I put some kind of hybrid set on the schecter without getting intonation problems?
I've got two 7's, one is 25.5" and one is 26.5". A longer scale will help in downtuning and keeping things clear the lower they go, it all depends how low you plan on tuning though. I've not tried my RGD any lower than dropped A and with a .062 for the A, it's clear as a whistle (I strung this with a baritone 62-13 set with a wound 3rd and put a .010 on the high E). The 25.5" with 46-10 with a .064 in the same tuning I found a little harder to play and a little less clear. I don't find the added tension too much different when it comes to bending in the slightest. I do like it alot down low though. Try the D'addario EXL-158 with a high .010 on it and see how you like it. Will still give you a nice chug in either scale. I played 10-59 on my Xiphos 7 up until a month or so ago.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Scales?

24.75 is awesome. Don't let anyone tell you different. It can go down as far as A (which is as far as anyone would logically want to go while still sounding good IMO) without a problem.

:D

edit: Oops, I only read the thread title and thought this would be a "Post your opinions on scale lengths" thread. Nevermind then. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Scales?

24.75 is awesome. Don't let anyone tell you different. It can go down as far as A (which is as far as anyone would logically want to go while still sounding good IMO) without a problem.

:D

edit: Oops, I only read the thread title and thought this would be a "Post your opinions on scale lengths" thread. Nevermind then. :lol:
anything less than 25.5" sounds like a wet fart for low B. See? opinions are like assholes. :D

Sure, you can jack up the string gauge, but longer scale is a better way to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts