Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking that I want a strat (and a tele, and a SLO, and an Axe-FX, but I digress). I am thinking that I will get Warmoth parts because I have some specific things that I want, and I can't get them on a Fender.

Anyway... I don't know what bridge to get. I have never owned anything but a Floyd or Kahler. I have been leaning towards an OFR, but I realize that's pretty non-canonical for a Strat. So what are my options for non locking trems? Do any of them hold tune better than others, or sound better than others? What about the nut, is the TUSQ a good option for non-locking trems?

FWIW, I am planning on going with a BKP Trilogy Suite set for the pickups, alder body, maple/maple neck and locking tuners.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
OFR or GTFO :agreed:

The schaller FR is killer too, depending on body woods I prefer it to the OFR in some guitars.

Have you considered the Yngwie signature models (I assume from the trilogy sweet pickup choice you are looking for something more towards the Yngwie end of things than a blues type strat?)

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
If you want a strat bridge:

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm

/ Thread

I have a USA strat and the factory bridge was terribad. I bought the Upgrade kit (mine is a newer model with 2 point floating) but the quality is going to be the same.

I was a little worried I was buying snake oil but the Callaham parts were a HUGE upgrade. The kit included saddles, block, and (Gilmour Length) Trem arm. I could not be happier. The guitar sounds so much more alive now. It is louder, notes ring out so much clearer and the thing feels like a tank.

It is a little pricey but worth every penny. Now that I have it I could never go back to a stock strat bridge.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, I don't want to have to buy a bridge only to immediately try to find a way to remove the retardedly huge logo :lol:

The actual bridge looks cool though. It looks like it has a higher mass than regular v-trems and it has the cool full contact design.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd go for a good two-screw design, such as the Wilkinson VS100 or Hipshot trem. Less friction, easier setup, very stable.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the six hole trems are just as good as those on pivots? That design always looked like it wouldn't work well to me.... but I guess Fender has been using it for 60+ years now...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.