Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so at the minute, my Allender is in E standard with 10-52's, and has 5 trem springs in. Bridge sits at the correct angle but is prone to going out of tune when used. Should I be using fewer springs if I'm using the trem to flutter?

Basically, recommendations for springs on a non-locking trem with 10-52's in E please. I'm a little clueless here, I've normally just put 5 on and used it almost as a fixed bridge.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
You should be able to kick it back to 3 springs. That'll make it flutter easier.

You can get the same amount of tension needed to balance that bridge with either 3 or 5 springs, however, 3 springs has less mass (obviously), so it'll flutter more, even if you tighten the screws in the back to give equal tension to what the 5 springs were. If you were going with 9s, you could probably even kick it back to 2 springs.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
You can get higher tension springs if needs be too.

As for going out of tune, it's a non locking bridge, so it'll never be as good as a locking bridge. Some graphite powder in the nut slots will probably help, as would locking tuners.

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might give them a go if I start using it more...although I'll try the graphite thing now, can't hurt. Cheers man.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
and the string-soldering method usually associated with kahlers helps, too.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I'd probably go for three or four. I've got four springs in my Jackson and three in my Yamaha, both tuned to D standard with 10-52 strings, and they both flutter nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts