Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved, oft-abused Supreme 160 is sadly on the way out after a couple of years of having the shit kicked out of it at my drummer's place. I use it every friday night with the volume dimed, and I let everyone else that jams with him use it as well.

It's starting to sound differently, the gain stage is flaky, and it occasionally emits that awesome burning electronics smell for no reason other than it probably doesn't like 5 hours of being played wide open. :lol: I certainly got my money's worth out of it, but I need a cheapish replacement to leave up there because toting the Roadster around is a pain in the ass.

I was thinking a single recto, since I really only need one sound out of it - the closest that I can get to Ch3 on my Roadster, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Gimme some options. :yesway:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
My beloved, oft-abused Supreme 160 is sadly on the way out after a couple of years of having the shit kicked out of it at my drummer's place. I use it every friday night with the volume dimed, and I let everyone else that jams with him use it as well.

It's starting to sound differently, the gain stage is flaky, and it occasionally emits that awesome burning electronics smell for no reason other than it probably doesn't like 5 hours of being played wide open. :lol: I certainly got my money's worth out of it, but I need a cheapish replacement to leave up there because toting the Roadster around is a pain in the ass.

I was thinking a single recto, since I really only need one sound out of it - the closest that I can get to Ch3 on my Roadster, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Gimme some options. :yesway:
These are pretty sweet. Cheap as all hell, so you can treat them like shit and not have to worry.

Also, it doesn't make it look like you're looking for any excuse to buy new gear for new gear's sake.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had considered just getting another one, but the times when I do bring the Roadster up with me it's a night/day difference. The S160 is awesome for 80's speed metal style stuff, but it's really a one trick pony in that respect. The Roadster does everything it does about 9000% better, but I like having a kickaround halfstack to just leave there and let (whoever) kick the crap out if it.

I have an old Ampeg 4x12 up there too. The thing takes an absurd beating and just will not die. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Mesas:
-Drew's Rectoverb
-GC has some DC-xs for $600-700
-You might be able to snag a Stiletto Ace or Deuce for that (just make sure it is a Series II if it is a Deuce)
-Mesa F-series

Peavey
-6505+/6534+

What you really want, though, is that Budda Superdrive 45 that Music Go Round has for $1100. :agreed: The drive channel on those just kills, especially for more Marshally thrash sounds.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People choose to play anything other than 80's speed metal?

Are you mad, good sir?
True. Fabulous Disaster did come out in 1988, but Impact is Imminent came out in 1990 so I have to have versatility!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mesas:
-Drew's Rectoverb
-GC has some DC-xs for $600-700
-You might be able to snag a Stiletto Ace or Deuce for that (just make sure it is a Series II if it is a Deuce)
-Mesa F-series

Peavey
-6505+/6534+

What you really want, though, is that Budda Superdrive 45 that Music Go Round has for $1100. :agreed: The drive channel on those just kills, especially for more Marshally thrash sounds.

Hmm, I totally forgot that the 6505 was so cheap. :yesway:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I love my Mesa Single Rect, it is WAY louder than my Peavey Valveking (100 watts) was. I'm still running through a 5150 cab, but it sounds great. Another to look at would be a 5150 or a Peavey Ultra(blinky lights!). Mesa all the way though, man. :yesway: Also, if you look though used.guitarcenter.com, I got my single recto for $850, with cover and footswitch, there wasn't a scratch or spec of dust on it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You're a Budda whore Josh so your opinion doesn't count. :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[action=Chris]does not particularly care for Budda tone[/action]

And ever since the whole Tiny Terror thing, I don't trust a damn thing that you say about tone, Josh. :lol: That thing sucked. :wub:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I assume this is supposed to remain a thrash-me-about crank-it-up and let anybody play it amp, so don't get anything too nice. Find a used ValveKing, throw a boost/distortion in front of it, and let loose. Or a 5150-something. Or a XXX/JSX. Peavey is almost always the best buy for reliability and value on the used market, IMHExperience.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The Valveking is hands down the worst fucking tube amp made. Anyone who buys one is a moron. You'd do better to either save more for a 5150 or buy a stack of megaphones and use that for your 'amplification'.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
[action=Chris]does not particularly care for Budda tone[/action]

And ever since the whole Tiny Terror thing, I don't trust a damn thing that you say about tone, Josh. :lol: That thing sucked. :wub:
:lol:
The Valveking is hands down the worst fucking tube amp made. Anyone who buys one is a moron. You'd do better to either save more for a 5150 or buy a stack of megaphones and use that for your 'amplification'.
You dont like Schecter either.. :fawk:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
:lol:

You dont like Schecter either.. :fawk:
Because they, like LTD, are overpriced shit with nice parts and zero actual character. Steaming heaps of excrement, Jason. Same goes for almost every Ibanez made since the 90's/early 00's.

I'm just a jaded bitter Scotsman. :D

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm sorry, but that is incredibly elitist and hyperbolized. I've played a couple and a friend of mine who is not a moron owned one, and they're definitely better than some amps for mid-high gain. They're also relatively reliable from what I know.

Whether you like them is irrelevant.

And nobody is arguing they sound better than a 5150/XXX/JSX.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts