Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new backup solution for my company, and as we are a small startup, we're trying to go with open source as much as possible. This is double fun for me, since I've never been the "backup guy" wherever I've worked in the past, so I just don't have much experience with tape robots.

So, I'm working with Bacula, because my changer, a Dell PowerVault 124T Autoloader, is on the list, and I've read a lot of positive things about it. I've got all the LUNs configured:

Code:
[[email protected] ~]# more /proc/scsi/scsi 
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 32 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DP       Model: BACKPLANE        Rev: 1.05
  Type:   Enclosure                        ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERC 6/i         Rev: 1.21
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ULTRIUM 4        Rev: 2170
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PV-124T          Rev: 0060
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
I've got a head cold, so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but I'm now quite sure what everything does. Obviously, the first one is the enclosure itself, so I'm probably not going to need to address that. The last one is the changer, which I will be controlling with mtx.

I'm assuming that the sequential access device is the drive, but what is the one before it? Is it for restores only, allowing me to go directly to the tape I want to get the stuff I need, with the sequential device for my dumps? Or does the changer control everything, and I just don't need the direct access device?

I need to take more DayQuil... :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure they frown on alcohol at the office. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a different job, then. :lol:

Oh, and I'll bet the "Dell" device is the RAID controller.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A board full of useful people. :wallbash: :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
is the PERC built in ? kind of random to have a tape drive on a raid controller lol. and apparently PERC stands for PowerEdge Raid Controller :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a backup solution based on Linux 7.7 called Vinchin Backup & Recovery. It can backup your virtual machines for VMware and other open-source platforms. And it has a 60 days free full featured trial. But this is not the point. Their support is the best in backup market and this product is very cost-effective. I cannot help but say it's exactly what I am looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts