Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some money back from our government, and I dont currently own a proper working computer. Budget is around $1k (cad), I *can* go up but tour money is good too.

Requirements:
- can handle my scarlett 2i4 and thus home demos (not extensive)
- ideally wont be super outdated in the next year or two (im not a tech guy but i dont want to need an upgrade)
- 14" or smaller for backpack

Im not sure if I should look for slightly older MBP's, new windows units, or shell extra and get something nice.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did peek at those - apple themselves have one 2013.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
13 Refurbished MBP is what I did.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

With the money I saved going refurbished I bought AppleCare. Also you can get a DataDoubler if you dont need an internal CD drive. That way you can run a "fusion drive" setupby putting a SSD in your main harddrive spot for speed and reliability and then a normal harddrive in the datadoubler spot for space.
This. Apple Refurbs are an awesome deal. Drop an SSD and 16GB of RAM in, and you're set.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you swap ram in 2013's though? I was under the impression that you cant.

Im not sure what the cost of an SSD is, but if its $200 then im already at non-retina mbp pricing.

Im fairly sure 4gb of ram will have me covered. I just dont want to find myself wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later, just because I didnt spend the cash now (when im more likely to have it). At the same time, I dont need crazy features.

I think the apple store shows the same refurb model for both US and Canada. Not sure how many they have in stock.

Edit: not sure what prior gens got, but the new mbp gets "10 hours battery life". With being on the road a lot and not always near a power source, this will probably be more important as time goes on.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Got some money back from our government, and I dont currently own a proper working computer. Budget is around $1k (cad), I *can* go up but tour money is good too.

Requirements:
- can handle my scarlett 2i4 and thus home demos (not extensive)
- ideally wont be super outdated in the next year or two (im not a tech guy but i dont want to need an upgrade)
- 14" or smaller for backpack

Im not sure if I should look for slightly older MBP's, new windows units, or shell extra and get something nice.
Seriously you don't need a lot of horsepower for recording. A current-gen I3 will be more than sufficient, and anything around a modern I5 will be more than enough. If you want a machine to really fly, take Jeff's advice make sure you get a (or upgrade to) SSD. They're not too expensive even for a 500 GB and the difference is night/day.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Just to clarify though, if you get a retina MacBook Pro they all have SSD/flash drives any way.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2014 pro 13.3 8gb ram 128gb SSD should arrive Wednesday.

For $300 less than a new one.

Im looking forward to making demos at home, and having them sound half decent :lol:.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Can you swap ram in 2013's though? I was under the impression that you cant.

Im not sure what the cost of an SSD is, but if its $200 then im already at non-retina mbp pricing.

Im fairly sure 4gb of ram will have me covered. I just dont want to find myself wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later, just because I didnt spend the cash now (when im more likely to have it). At the same time, I dont need crazy features.

I think the apple store shows the same refurb model for both US and Canada. Not sure how many they have in stock.

Edit: not sure what prior gens got, but the new mbp gets "10 hours battery life". With being on the road a lot and not always near a power source, this will probably be more important as time goes on.
Retina you cannot; non-retina you can.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. Im looking at it as an investment and look to get a few good years out of it at least.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's here, and it's awesome. Let the learning begin!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts