Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of these? Any info on them?
I'v always dug the sound of an acoustic with a capo on the 3rd to 6th fret range, and that leads me to believe I would love a short scale acoustic. From what I'v heard around, these are great little guitars. 3/4 size, 23.5 scale.

They make a spruce topped one, sapele sides and another model just like it with a mahogany top. Both are braced more like a parlor guitar. From the comparisons i'v heard on youtube, the spruce one is my bag. I know its not the same as a jumbo with a capo, but I hate bumping capos and would like a small guitar to compliment my jumbo.

(These are around 500 bones new btw)

Heres a comparison between the 2 models.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I don't own one, although I own a big baby. I sold a few of these right when they came out. Bangin little guitars for the cash if its what you're looking for :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I've got one of the original Baby Taylors--hardshell case instead of gig bag--and it sounds surprisingly good for its size. A bit honky in the mids, but that is to be expected from the short scale and small body.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The baby taylors (in youtube comparisons) sounded a little more like traditional sized acoustics, where the gs had a smoother, more mellow sound. Thats the main reason i'm gravitating toward the GS at the moment.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

I've got one of the original Baby Taylors--hardshell case instead of gig bag--and it sounds surprisingly good for its size. A bit honky in the mids, but that is to be expected from the short scale and small body.
Yeah, I can echo this pretty much exactly :yesway:. The GS is a bit more balanced overall (I think they learned from the babies), but still sits in that same vein.

The baby taylors (in youtube comparisons) sounded a little more like traditional sized acoustics, where the gs had a smoother, more mellow sound. Thats the main reason i'm gravitating toward the GS at the moment.
That's just the difference between the GS shape and a dreadnought in general. It's a little les spronounced, but you can hear the same difference between the x10s and x14s in their full sized lines. It actually works to the guitars disadvantage a lot of the time, with the full sized ones.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Yep. If you like the smaller bodied short scaled sound, it's hard to go wrong with one. Well built axes. My main for years has been my big baby, and theyre about comparable in feel, the GS might be a bit more solid feeling tbh. I have a hard time imagining you not liking it if you like the sound you say you're going for.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

Pretty much everything Taylor makes is awesome.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
We sell these like hotcakes at the place I work. I love 'em. They play super well, sound great, are really comfortable. I like the Mahogany top ones a little better than the Spruce but both sound awesome. I'll probably snag one for myself before long. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I really don't like mahogany top acoustic guitars. They just sound dull to me. Cedar tops on Seagulls are the very rare exception to the rule that only spruce sounds good.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I was between mahogany and spruce and my coworker said the spruce projects more. You can also put the ES-go system in, which I did. Sounds good, plays well, and the gigbag is pretty good as far as those go.

Im happy with mine :yesway:. I dont play it all the time but bring it to lessons (taught and learned) a fair bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.