Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on how easy or how difficult it would be to mod. a 2010 MIA Standard Telecaster to take a bair of Bare Knuckle humbuckers bridge and neck? I was thinking Pain Killer bridge and Nail Bomb neck, for a Jim Root style passive Telecaster.

I think the current body would need routing to fit a humbucker in the bridge?? And then I'd need a humbucker bridge.

Any think else I kneed to know about this type of mod?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK Fender routes their Tele bodies to accept both humbuckers and singlecoils. At the very least, I can confirm my '97 American Standard has a humbucker-sized route in the neck. That said, if you want to check, take the strings off and unscrew the pickguard, you ought to be able to see if you lift it off even an inch or so.

Fender's pretty savvy to the fact that part of the appeal of their guitars is they're so much fun to hotrod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think the 2010 Standard is routed for a humbucker bridge, but I cannot find out if this is actually the case. I seem to remember reading somewhere info that suggests Fender no longer route for a humbucker bridge?

Oh, not got a Tele at the moment... sold one and now want one back LOL

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
There's also a Squier J5 Telecaster which is also H-H. I know it's not MIA, but it might be worth trying out. Another option would be to put together a partscaster.

There's also this bad boy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe he hates signature guitars...I know its stupid but I know I do. If that's the case you can try and score a Flat Head Telecaster. USA made. Fender Custom Shop. Lauched in the early 2000. Hard to find.
I'm not quite in the 'hate' signature guitars, but I'm not keen on signatures.

I've also got the chance of a 2010 MIA Tele that is only a few months old, as its a mates g/friends who is selling it as she ain't getting along with it :nuts: Its also black with a nice maple neck :D

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've also got the chance of a 2010 MIA Tele that is only a few months old, as its a mates g/friends who is selling it as she ain't getting along with it :nuts: Its also black with a nice maple neck :D
Even if it doesn't come pre-routed for humbuckers, that's a relatively easy modification for a tech to do, and it's easily reversible. Just use one of these bridges:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had one of the Squier Teles with the dual humbuckers. I regret getting rid of that guitar.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'd just get a jim root and pop the bkps in, the great thing about that guitar is it doesnt have slipknot or anything plastered all over it, its pretty clean.

or how about a schecter PT?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep your fingers crossed guys... I should be picking up a Black and maple Tele this weekend, then onto Tim at BKPs for some serious pups!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
don't forget to post some pics and tell us what you think of it. very interested in what you wil come up with. I'm also looking forward to getting a "super-tele"! which BKs are you going to pick?
Okay... probably a superficial question(s). Can I canvass your opinions on whether I should stay with a white pick guard or go black. The Tele is black with a maple neck.

Also, if I stay with white should I have white humbuckers, black or zebra? If you think I should go with a black pick guard should I have black or zebra humbuckers. I'll be putting in a BKP Pain Killer (bridge) and Cod Sweat (neck) :yesway:

Oh I forgot to mention the hardware is all chrome.

·
18,790 Posts
Okay... probably a superficial question(s). Can I canvass your opinions on whether I should stay with a white pick guard or go black. The Tele is black with a maple neck.

Also, if I stay with white should I have white humbuckers, black or zebra? If you think I should go with a black pick guard should I have black or zebra humbuckers. I'll be putting in a BKP Pain Killer (bridge) and Cod Sweat (neck) :yesway:

Oh I forgot to mention the hardware is all chrome.
I'd say go with a black-white-black pickguard:

And brushed nickel covered pickups:

:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will post picks and description of the BKPs in the next few weeks.... when I've got all the bits and peices.

I gone for a black-white-black pickguard and black and white zebra pickups.

Cheers - all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts