Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last yr i asked for some pickup recommendations for a tele i had built. Bought a set of Fralin blues. I love the neck pickup but need something thicker with more gain for the bridge?

Atm imi leaning towards getting the texas specials that were also mentioned in that thread but before i grab those is there something else i should look into?

Cheers!

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Nordstrand NVT. It is hands down the best single coil I have ever used and I've been through a bunch trying to find the right pickup. My main axes are all single coil guitars and both of my Tele's have the NVT because nothing else really compares to it. If you're trying to get high gain sounds out of a tele(as I do), you'll probably hate the Texas Specials. The NVT will get you there though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, i'll check those out.

Im not after high gain tones as ive got humbucker guitars but the bridge lacks some oomph when i play with any amount of gain. I dont use the bridge clean (i'm not after the typical tele clean twang) i play it with some sort of overdrive be it amp or pedal. The Greco that lead me to build this tele was very mean with when used my drive pedals. The Fralin Blues bridge sounds good but it needs more gain and a bit more low end/mids? for what im after.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've never played their Tele pickups, but I've been seriously impressed with Suhr's singlecoils - they just sound fuller than anything else I've played. Even the V60s (which I swapped out for V60LPs), it wasn't so much an issue with the qualityof the tne, so much as it just wasn't the particular sound I was after.... They evidently use magnets from the same source Fender used to use in the 60s, which may be responsible for some of their magic, or it may just be spin. Who knows - they're great.

https://www.suhr.com/pickups/single-coil-pickups/suhr-classic-t-pickups/

Again, no personal experience witht his model... But if I had a tele and needed pickups, this is where I'd start my search.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Texas Specials are Specialest Specials.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I've never played their Tele pickups, but I've been seriously impressed with Suhr's singlecoils - they just sound fuller than anything else I've played. Even the V60s (which I swapped out for V60LPs), it wasn't so much an issue with the qualityof the tne, so much as it just wasn't the particular sound I was after.... They evidently use magnets from the same source Fender used to use in the 60s, which may be responsible for some of their magic, or it may just be spin. Who knows - they're great.

https://www.suhr.com/pickups/single-coil-pickups/suhr-classic-t-pickups/

Again, no personal experience witht his model... But if I had a tele and needed pickups, this is where I'd start my search.
I didn't see you'd responded and I literally was about to comment that since I was in here shilling for texas specials, you needed to come shill some suhr pickups :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
It kind of depends on what you want to play on that Tele. I have a DiMarzio Chopper T humbucker in the bridge of one of my Teles, and it's great for stuff a Tele wouldn't normally handle. It's the bridge pickup in the Ritchie Kotzen Tele. For actual Tele stuff, I like the Fender Twisted Tele bridge.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for you suggestions. I've bought a Suhr Classic T bridge and will be keeping an eye out for a set of CS Texas Specials on the used market as i would like to try them at some point to. But at this stage i love the Fralin Blues neck and hopefully the Classic T bridge works for me. I dont plan on ever selling this tele so i dont mind searching for the right pickups for it over time.

Many thanks!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I didn't see you'd responded and I literally was about to comment that since I was in here shilling for texas specials, you needed to come shill some suhr pickups :lol:
:rofl:

Thank you all for you suggestions. I've bought a Suhr Classic T bridge and will be keeping an eye out for a set of CS Texas Specials on the used market as i would like to try them at some point to. But at this stage i love the Fralin Blues neck and hopefully the Classic T bridge works for me. I dont plan on ever selling this tele so i dont mind searching for the right pickups for it over time.

Many thanks!
Cool, I'll be really curious what you think. I'm pretty sure over a long enough timeline I'll be ordering a tele-style Suhr, so eventually I'll find out first hand, but for now.... :yesway:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, I'll be really curious what you think. I'm pretty sure over a long enough timeline I'll be ordering a tele-style Suhr, so eventually I'll find out first hand, but for now.... :yesway:
Will do, its coming form the US so shipping will take a while. But all the clips i listened to sounded great and i liked the descriptions people gave it ie. darker, modern, plays well with gain.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A little update: i installed the suhr a couple of days ago. It fixed the problems i had with the Fralins blues bridge. The highs are no longer ice picky and its also a little hotter and thicker than the Fralin. I had been playing the Fralin bridge quite a lot over the last week or two just so i would be aware of the difference between both pickups after the install. During that time i had really grown fond of the Fralin bridge, so much so that i re-installed the Fralin after a couple of days of using the Suhr. But that harshness in the highs was back. I tried playing around with capacitor values trying to tame it but but nothing could get rid of the harsh highs

So ive installed the Suhr again, and i think its going to stay. Its quite a beefy pickup for a singlecoil bridge. Leads sound great on the bridge even above the 12th fret. It handles gain really well. Sounded great with my drives pedals. For rhythm its great to. Perfect for hard rock and it can even play heavier stuff with the right amp model in the afx2. Just jammed along to Holy Wars with the HBE model and it sounded great.

The Fralin Blues set is great, that bridge is really in your face. That brightness is great. And i could seeing it really suiting certain styles of music. But for what i play it was a little to much. I called it ice picky but i dont think that really describes it properly.Ive played other pickups that suit that term Painkillers, 500XL's. It's bright and a little thin and that combination just doesn't work for me.

So the Suhr will be staying. I'll be keeping an eye out for some other pickups on the used market and will try something else down the road. Im still going to hang on to the Fralin as well in case my tastes change again. IM trying not to make it to hot, i have enough humbucker equipped guitars, the tele is to expand the tonal option of my gear so putting a really hot pickup in it is pointless. But im trying to find the right balance of tele twang and my liking hot bridge pickups.

Sorry no sound clips. Reaper has started making a ticking noise that i cant seem to eliminate.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Thanks, i'll check those out.

Im not after high gain tones as ive got humbucker guitars but the bridge lacks some oomph when i play with any amount of gain. I dont use the bridge clean (i'm not after the typical tele clean twang) i play it with some sort of overdrive be it amp or pedal. The Greco that lead me to build this tele was very mean with when used my drive pedals. The Fralin Blues bridge sounds good but it needs more gain and a bit more low end/mids? for what im after.
It really kinda sounds like you want a humbucker :)

Also, Chris knows what he's talking about; you should grab that NVT thing :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Sorry no sound clips. Reaper has started making a ticking noise that i cant seem to eliminate.
I had that once... I think it had something to do with my interface/driver settings.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had that once... I think it had something to do with my interface/driver settings.
Yeah, ive tried re-installing my afx driver and playing with different settings but still no dice. If i cant sort it out soon i'll probably format and start fresh. Due for a format anyway. Just hate starting over, so many things to tweak/install. But its driving me nuts so i'll have to do it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It really kinda sounds like you want a humbucker :)

Also, Chris knows what he's talking about; you should grab that NVT thing :yesway:
I do, but ive got plenty of humbucker guitars as is. So im trying to convince myself i need some tele twang in my life!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
It really kinda sounds like you want a humbucker

Also, Chris knows what he's talking about; you should grab that NVT thing
I do, but ive got plenty of humbucker guitars as is. So im trying to convince myself i need some tele twang in my life!
You do :yesway:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts