21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Nice, glad to hear it worked out!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I do, but ive got plenty of humbucker guitars as is. So im trying to convince myself i need some tele twang in my life!
I feel ya, 100%. I built a Warmoth to be my ultimate Strat, because I always loved strat sounds, but hated the upper horn. Turns out they've got a cool Tele shaped Strat Hybrid shape that's awesome. And, I loaded it with SSS pups, because I wanted to have that sound.

But, as it turns out, I rarely play the thing, because it's just not *my* sound :wub:

So, I've got a new HB set coming in soon. I bought a new Dremel, and some fun will be had :lol:

And, not that the single-coil-bridge experiment is over... the new pups will be split-ready, so I'll still have access to it, when the mood strikes :yesway:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I feel ya, 100%. I built a Warmoth to be my ultimate Strat, because I always loved strat sounds, but hated the upper horn. Turns out they've got a cool Tele shaped Strat Hybrid shape that's awesome. And, I loaded it with SSS pups, because I wanted to have that sound.

But, as it turns out, I rarely play the thing, because it's just not *my* sound :wub:

So, I've got a new HB set coming in soon. I bought a new Dremel, and some fun will be had :lol:

And, not that the single-coil-bridge experiment is over... the new pups will be split-ready, so I'll still have access to it, when the mood strikes :yesway:
Its funny I had been anti bridge single coil until I finally wired my strat with a tone control on the bridge pickup. It really saves the magic of a bridge single.

I have also found that there is some thing MASSIVE about bridge singles. I cant even begin to explain how good it feels to be playing along then smash the shit out of a be E or even Drop D power cord through a medium gain amp.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Yeah look im coming around. Ive always been a humbucker guy, but there something really cool about singlecoils and drive pedals. They're very articulate and responsive and i have to say im loving the brightness. As a guy thats always had a "dark" recording tone this guitars has changed how i hear things. To the point where i getting some of the best tones ive had out of the afx2, mererly by adding a bit more high end in my tones

Funny enough im reading "The Birth of Loud - The Story of Leo Fender and Les Paul" and there's a section where Jimi Hendrix says the telecaster has two sounds. Good and bad. Kinda funny as its currently where i am.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also ive doubled down on singlecoils, Im currently building a jazzmaster type guitar that will have P90's. Just ordered a set of Lollar standards.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Two years ago all I had was humbuckers in my guitars, except for an old partscaster, and now I really only play singles :) Singles are where the fun is a LOT of the time.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Its funny I had been anti bridge single coil until I finally wired my strat with a tone control on the bridge pickup. It really saves the magic of a bridge single.
:agreed: It takes a touch of bite off of it when combined with the middle pickup, but it makes the pickup useable on its own.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

I have also found that there is some thing MASSIVE about bridge singles. I cant even begin to explain how good it feels to be playing along then smash the shit out of a be E or even Drop D power cord through a medium gain amp.
It's because they're all attack. Not a ton of bass, but plenty of upper mids and treble, so you get a ton of "impact" from the string. Sounds devastating layered with a humbucker, since it's just all articulation.

I'm in the same camp too, especially with a nice, glassy singlecoil that's bright but has sort of rounded off "presence" in the high end - it's an awesome sound, not the tone I'd want for everything and I'm glad I have humbucker equipped guitars too, but sometimes it's the only sound that will work. I have no clue if the tone knob is the key part, because I just wire all my bridge pickups through the tone pot just to have the option.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts