Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my (admittedly limited) experience with Mesas in the past, I've never been all that impressed. However, I just got back from band practice, where I got to use a Dual Rec Solo Head, and hoooly shit. I've been using a 5150 II and while it's certainly brutal, it doesn't have the clarity, punch, or smoothness of the Dual Rec, so I'm starting to think about selling the Peavey and picking up a Mesa.

A couple things: First, how do they play with actives? I was using my Schecter Revenger 7 with a Dimarzios tonight, but I also have a Hellraiser with EMG 707s, so I'm just curious. Second, I have a G-flex 2x12 I'm using with the 5150 right now. Is that a good match for a Dual Rec or will it be way too boomy? I've had that problem with other Mesas head I've used, and even through a plain old Marshall 4x12, this had a huge amount of chunk.

So yeah, suffering from some severe GAS right now and just trying to explore this idea a bit.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Fucking love mine, you can get just about any sound if you know what you're doing with the EQ. The only thing I don't like is the louddddness :lol:

If you're thinking about picking one up...dont think twice, just grab one! Although bear in mind they can be kind of hard to resell. I have mine listed in CL for 800...not a single person has come down to try it out :squint:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That actually makes it more attractive right now: It looks like I might be able to get more for the 5150 than a used Dual Rec will cost right now since the 5150/6505 seems to be the in amp at the moment.

Oh, I also forgot to ask before, but how are the cleans? I figure they can't be any worse than the clean sound out of 5150.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mesa cleans get a lot of hate but I personally really like them, and they take effects really well.

The general consensus is that the best way to go is with a Single or Triple as they're both better than the Dual, but it's not like the Dual is unusable. Lots of people use them and sound great. The Triple just happens to sound phenomenal, so the Dual being great doesn't sound as good by comparison :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mesa cleans get a lot of hate but I personally really like them, and they take effects really well.

The general consensus is that the best way to go is with a Single or Triple as they're both better than the Dual, but it's not like the Dual is unusable. Lots of people use them and sound great. The Triple just happens to sound phenomenal, so the Dual being great doesn't sound as good by comparison :lol:
I hate the single recs, IMO completely different than the dual/triple. I think if you have enough for a triple you might as well buy a Roadster as those are the fucking tits!

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The triple rec is 150 watts though right? My concern with that is I would't be able to turn it up loud enough to really get the best sound out of it. My 5150 is 120 watts and I already never get to turn it up much past 3 for gigs.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
If you're worried about volume dont do what I did and buy a dual thinking it's any quieter because it's not. :lol:

The difference between 100 and 150 watts is very negligible. You can pull two power tubes and run the amps at half wattage though...its still loud.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, in my experience the 5150s of any variety are as loud as the Mesas of any variety, ditto for basically any tube amp in that wattage range. Just because you're not turning it up to 10, doesn't mean you're not using its full potential. Just as long as you love the sound and it's balancing to the rest of the band, you're ok.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts

:nuts: Are you crazy? The dual is way way way better than the single.

Of course, I think the triple is the best sounding of the Mesa Rectifiers.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah and once you turn it up to a certain level it stops getting much louder after that.
Thats pretty much how most high gain heads are, once you get past a threshold, usually 4-6 (maybe 7 on some amps) on the MV you don't gain volume but things just start getting more compressed the higher you go. For the K-tre I own that point is between 5 and 6. Most people regard that point as being ~5 on a 5150 type amp.

·
18,790 Posts

Naren said:

:nuts: Are you crazy? The dual is way way way better than the single.

Of course, I think the triple is the best sounding of the Mesa Rectifiers.
I guess I was mistaken about the singles :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Thats pretty much how most high gain heads are, once you get past a threshold, usually 4-6 (maybe 7 on some amps) on the MV you don't gain volume but things just start getting more compressed the higher you go. For the K-tre I own that point is between 5 and 6. Most people regard that point as being ~5 on a 5150 type amp.
That's pretty much how it happens on tube amps in general. After about 10-1 o'clock on the knob, you get less and less appreciable volume and more and more distortion and compression. Thus, they get shockingly loud very early in the knob sweep, but don't get much louder after that.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
The triple will have more punch and tighter low end due to extra wattage - it's not about any extra volume in this case.

I own a Roadster, my bandmate uses a Rectoverb (single rec) 112. He's looking to buy a strat, and once that happens we all feel the band's sound will jive even better then it does now.

I always play on the 6505/6505+ when I go to my favourite local music store, and I have to ask - what settings are on your Peavey if a Dual has more clarity and punch? Not to say that this isn't possible, but I can get clear punchy tones out of both amps - each amp just brings it's own character to that sound.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well granted, I think my 5150 is due for some new tubes at the moment, but that wasn't always the case and I've played plenty of other 5150s. I usually have the bass around 12 o'clock, with the mids at about 2 and the highs at 1 or 2, gain somewhere between 12 and 2. I also use a tubescreamer in front of it, but mostly just for that mid-boost the TS gives you that I find tightens things up, so I only have the gain at about 10 o'clock.

It's not that the Peavey doesn't cut or anything, it just sounds a little looser and not as balanced to my ears. For example the lows tend to dominate on bar chordswith the 5150. It sounds heavy, but not as clear as I'd like. Same with two-hand tapping stuff: the lower pitch left-hand stuff always just sounds kind of there to me on the 5150, but on the Mesa I could hear everything. Even on palm muted trem picked stuff, it just sounded cleaner to my ears.

Also for whatever reason the Mesa played much nicer with my noise gate. With 5150s I pretty much have to have the threshold on my NS-2 dimed and the decay completely bottomed out. With the Dual Rec I found myself not having to choke the life out of my tone to keep it from squealing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
So in my (admittedly limited) experience with Mesas in the past, I've never been all that impressed. However, I just got back from band practice, where I got to use a Dual Rec Solo Head, and hoooly shit. I've been using a 5150 II and while it's certainly brutal, it doesn't have the clarity, punch, or smoothness of the Dual Rec, so I'm starting to think about selling the Peavey and picking up a Mesa.
Heh. Everyone who only plays a Recto at the store winds up with a laundry list of deficiencies. You just discovered what the rest of us Mesa users learned at one point in time: they build amps that sound awesome with a band. It also makes sense that a 5150 user would gravitate to a Recto, since the preamps are practically the same. Mesa just uses a lot higher quality componentry, and has more options, so think of it as upgrading what is already working for you.

A couple things: First, how do they play with actives? I was using my Schecter Revenger 7 with a Dimarzios tonight, but I also have a Hellraiser with EMG 707s, so I'm just curious. Second, I have a G-flex 2x12 I'm using with the 5150 right now. Is that a good match for a Dual Rec or will it be way too boomy? I've had that problem with other Mesas head I've used, and even through a plain old Marshall 4x12, this had a huge amount of chunk.
Tons of guys use EMGs with Mesa, and have for years. Just remember to keep the gain down, and you'll be fine. You'll also want a tubescreamer out front to tighten things up. That will go a long way towards nuking the boominess you're complaining about. The other half of the equation is your cab. I won't sugarcoat it, those GFlexes just aren't that good. I would never use a ported guitar cab, since I don't feel like I need bass boom from my guitar rig.

Out of all your options, I'd go with the Triple. Don't think of it as "OMG 150w?!?" as much as headroom. The thing is tight and brutal. You can run the bass knob below 10:00 and STILL get bass response. The low end is tighter than a bumblebee's ass.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts