Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to change all the hardware on my Xiphos to black. Black finish guitars with chrome hardware look cheap as shit. Black hardware on black guitars looks the fuckin bomb.

A solution arose... I spotted an RG465m on eBay, figured "holy shit, that's got the exact same hardware, but black! Reverse headstock tuners and everything..." (fuck the trem, upgrading to OFR down the line)

So I bought it...

Now, the idea was; swap hardware with the Xiphos, sell the RG on, probably make a little loss on it, but still cheaper than buying all the hardware separately (this is a brand spanking guitar, it's had about 30 mins play time).

There's only one problem. I love it and don't want to sell it :lol:

I can't keep it. I bought it with money I shouldn't really be spending, so one of my guitars has got to go in the next couple of weeks.

It can't be the Xiphos because that's just out of the question. That's my main axe and I love the shit out of it.

The white V... I only just bought the damn thing about a month ago, and it's a really fun guitar to play.

But... man, this guitar is just phenomenal. It seems ridiculous selling a guitar that I prefer to the V, and only keeping the V out of principal because it's new. If I flat-out prefer this one's tone and playability, it wins, right? RIGHT!?

Anyway, this or the white V will be up for sale in the next few days :lol:

/white people problems.

·
Master of Puppets
43 Posts
This is the easiest question I have ever been asked to answer.

SELL THE WHITE V!
It's not about principle, it's about feel. End of story.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
:agreed:

People from Tucson are right sometimes too :agreed:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
anything new is always going to seem better. Give it a week and then side by side them and see what you think

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha no, whatever sells, money's gotta go back where it came from.

But waiting a week isn't the worst idea in the world. I honestly don't think this is a honeymoon period thing though, the RG is just a flat-out 'better' guitar for me.

I like shreddy guitars. Thin necks, big frets, trems, bosh. The V is an awesome guitar for what it is, and I really enjoy having it there as something different, but when I try to be 'me' on it, I find it lacks in areas.

I'm just not a Gibson-scale/profile guy. If I had the money I'd have a guitar like that around for the fun of it, but now something else has entered the arena that is more 'my' thing, it's hard to let it go again. I know I have the Xiphos for that shreddy thing, but different tunings for different bands etc means I need 2 guitars anyway. May as well have 2 that I love rather than 1 that I love and 1 that's just kickin around for the hell of it because it's 'fun'.

That's my logic right now anyway. I'll see where I'm at in a weeks time :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Swap the hardware, first. I bet that RG will look pretty hot with chrome hardware, too, and you can throw a Floyd on it down the road, too.

Then wait a week, and most likely sell the white V. :yesway:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

Still gonna swap the hardware? Chrome would look cool on the candy apple red.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Agreed with Drew and Darren. Do the hardware swap. For some reason the idea of chrome hardware on the red doesn't seem disgusting. :lol: I've never really liked chrome hardware.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah ill still do the swap even if I keep it. Chrome on red looks awesome :agreed: Just waiting on some black pickup rings for the xiphos (ordered some nice metal ones!) then ill do it.

Well I have two other bands, one hard rock/groovy band and then an 80s metal covers band. Both of which are very shreddy. The V certainly looks the part in any rock orientation, its just not the most fluent lead guitar! Not when stacked up against the rg or the xiphos anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts