Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you lads read this? I'm on the hunt for a new set of audiobooks for my commute/trip to AZ next week, and have heard good things about it.

Looking for something in the vein of WOT/ASOIAF/Malazan, since listening to swords and hammers and dragons and shit makes me show up at work ready to slay some bad guys. :lol:

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Yeah man, got my girl reading these the other day :lol:

If you can get hold of them on audiobook, get "The Colour of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic"...listen to them in that order (as TLF is the sequel).

Very humorous, witty books that still have slaying and what not although their hero is far from conventional :rofl:

Definitely recommend them. I have two copies of "The Colour of Magic" because I read the shit out of my first one.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The humor aspect kind of turns me off of it a little bit. I like my dragon slaying stark and brooding. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I've only read The Colour of Magic, the first Rincewind novel, so far. I really liked the humor and the setting, but it started to drag a little bit towards the end, maybe because I was rushing to finish it so I could start reading another book. :lol:

The setting is vastly different from your usual fantasy universe, and the writing style is eccentric in a way that I like. Overall it was a good read, though. I'd like to read more Discworld books in the future, especially since I've read on the internets that series gets better down the road, and that The Colour of Magic is not regarded as a favorite among Discworld readers. :)

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Have you read "Good Omens", with Neil Gaiman? It's a cult classic for good reason. But if you don't like humor it may not be what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I've read three of the Discworld novels and thought the "Colour of Magic" TV movie by SkyOne was really good (although I'm sure "purists" hate it).

The humor aspect kind of turns me off of it a little bit. I like my dragon slaying stark and brooding. :lol:
:lol: Then why are you considering reading/listening to Discworld? The whole thing is an off-the-wall comedy. Very hilarious and very interesting, but the exact opposite of stark and brooding.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
As other's have said, this is not a "dragon slaying" series. It's humor series set in a "world of magic". They read more like a Douglas Adams re-telling of a series of late night D&D sessions. If you don' think you'd like the Aussie version of Douglas Adams, you might want to skip this series.

That said, I love the books, when I'm in the mood, but I really can't read two in a row.

Ray

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
where in AZ? I have a LOT of beer :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be in Sierra Vista until Aug 6th, then in Phoenix Saturday the 7th, flying out on the 8th. I have nothing planned for the 7th if you can meet up for beers. :idea:

[action=Chris]has no idea how far that is from your place, will go Googulate[/action]

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I've read three of the Discworld novels and thought the "Colour of Magic" TV movie by SkyOne was really good (although I'm sure "purists" hate it).
Man, I can't bring myself to watch it because Discworld in my mind has the cartoony appearance of the book covers. It may also have something to do with the fact that I've played the Discworld game quite a bit. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Man, I can't bring myself to watch it because Discworld in my mind has the cartoony appearance of the book covers. It may also have something to do with the fact that I've played the Discworld game quite a bit. :lol:
I know what you mean. The Discworld novels all have that crazy cartoony art by Josh Kirby and the Discworld PC games (I played two of them) are all based on the art from the novels.

I guess it would be hardest for people who have been reading the novels faithfully for a really long time because they associate the cartoony art on the novels with the characters.

Still a great movie in my opinion. It's even got Tim Rice in it, for goodness sake!

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I loved the games. The voice acting was brilliant in them :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.