Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good for them! I hope Tesla will be around for a LONG time.
I hope they're around long enough to make cars that I can actually afford. :lol:

With Fisker going out of business, they pretty much have their market share wrapped up.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Word is they're working on a mid-size "entry level" model in the $40k range. Even at its base price of $62k, the Model S is a bargain if you're in the market for a large sedan. That's right between a BMW 5 Series and 7 Series.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

I expect to see a lot of these in my neighborhood. There's already a few, but with all the German luxo-barges around in that price range I'd expect to see more.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I don't know anything about cars or car companies, but they get a thumbs up for financial responsibility. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

I'd love to see the first decently affordable electric vehicle capable of hauling gear. Imagine how much easier touring (or any job involving hauling equipment or any other large goods) would be if all you had to do was plug in your van when you're stopped.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'd love to see the first decently affordable electric vehicle capable of hauling gear. Imagine how much easier touring (or any job involving hauling equipment or any other large goods) would be if all you had to do was plug in your van when you're stopped.
Once you've found a charging station. :lol:

We have a bunch of them in front of the lab building I work in. Nobody uses them, because the company that owns them (Chargepoint) throws in a gigantic upcharge.

They're billed at $2.50/hour. A Prius plug-in requires a 1.5 hour charge, so it would cost $3.75 to go at most 12-15 miles. The average rate for a kWatt Hour is around .15 cents, and a Prius charges at 2.25 kWatt Hours, or around 33 cents per hour.

So the charging stations would have that Prius charged for $3.75 out of pocket - for $0.50 in electric costs - or about a 750% profit margin.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

Actually, if you weren't traveling super-long distances, the Model S would be great if you added a hitch. Seats five, hatch in the back, and all the torque is available almost immediately.

·
18,790 Posts

Chris said:

Once you've found a charging station. :lol:

We have a bunch of them in front of the lab building I work in. Nobody uses them, because the company that owns them (Chargepoint) throws in a gigantic upcharge.

They're billed at $2.50/hour. A Prius plug-in requires a 1.5 hour charge, so it would cost $3.75 to go at most 12-15 miles. The average rate for a kWatt Hour is around .15 cents, and a Prius charges at 2.25 kWatt Hours, or around 33 cents per hour.

So the charging stations would have that Prius charged for $3.75 out of pocket - for $0.50 in electric costs - or about a 750% profit margin.
Well, yeah :lol:

·
18,790 Posts

Josh said:

Actually, if you weren't traveling super-long distances, the Model S would be great if you added a hitch. Seats five, hatch in the back, and all the torque is available almost immediately.
As long as you can get enough miles between charges with all that weight to get from city to city.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Well, that's gross margin, not what they actually make after developing and deploying the charge stations, billing infrastructure, etc. Good for them for taking a run at building out the concept, but it's gonna be a tough business model.

Personally, i'd love to see Tesla partner with McDonald's or Starbucks to put SuperChargers at every location. Instant infrastructure!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Well, that's gross margin, not what they actually make after developing and deploying the charge stations, billing infrastructure, etc. Good for them for taking a run at building out the concept, but it's gonna be a tough business model.

Personally, i'd love to see Tesla partner with McDonald's or Starbucks to put SuperChargers at every location. Instant infrastructure!
McCharge!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Word is they're working on a mid-size "entry level" model in the $40k range. Even at its base price of $62k, the Model S is a bargain if you're in the market for a large sedan. That's right between a BMW 5 Series and 7 Series.
Elon said it should be somewhere in the 30ks when he was interviewed at TED

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They've been there for about 6 months now, and I have never once seen a car plugged into them. :lol: It's one thing to offer a service and make a profit. It's quite another to offer a service at a ~750% upcharge and expect it to work.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts