Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy has been hot to pick up one of these for a few weeks now and he gives me a call a few days ago. He lives in Missouri and he found one up here in MN where I live. So to get to the point, I ended up picking it up for him and I'll have it around the house for about a month before I can make it down to Mo.
So this is the JSX 2x12 combo. I gotta say...This is a kick ass amp! There are so many things you can do with it to tweak the tones...The "Ultra" channel is all a guy should ever need for distortion. I don't know...any of you have one of these? I think I'm gona go buy myself one soon!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Too much gain for me. I couldn't get usable sounds out of it with the drive knob past 9 o'clock. Really fizzy and compressed.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really??!! Hmmm.. I know tones are pretty subjective and all that....but in no time, I was dialed in to what I was looking for.....What type of music do you play?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Really??!! Hmmm.. I know tones are pretty subjective and all that....but in no time, I was dialed in to what I was looking for.....What type of music do you play?
Rock, classic rock, indie, NWOBHM. I like high-gain tones, but I need something that cuts... the JSX sounds pretty good by itself but it just has too much gain and saturation without the definition or bold midrange to cut through in a dense band setting. It just kind of felt "mushy" and compressed to me. :shrug:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Josh's version of high gain and mine are very different. :lol: I love the JSX, and every time I've dialed one in, I've had thatknob all the fuckin' way up :metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oh, dude, it's dumb fun to crank the drive and widdle... but as for actual usable tones, not so much :D

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My current amp is worlds better. You'd probably hate it too though anyways :wub:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I've never really liked the JSX, I demo'd one with a V2 with ryan once for like 10 minutes before being kicked out of scam ass but the V2 was way more my style lol. Also the neck on the S7320 is awful.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I like mine, but I wanted a change and have lusted after a dual rec for ages, found a great deal on my roadster.

My JSX is for sale (2 JJ 6L6's and a 2-outta-3 functioning footswitch)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Maybe I just tried a crappy one :shrug:

I'll have to give another one a shot next time I see it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Maybe I just tried a crappy one :shrug:

I'll have to give another one a shot next time I see it.
No, you just don't like it. I've played several of them, and came away with the same conclusion as you: fizzy, over-compressed, way too much gain. I don't give a fuck what Peavey says, it is just a XXX with EL-34s and a noise gate. The only usable channel is crunch, which has plenty of gain. I love gain as much as the next guy, but I also love articulation and definition. So, I run the gain lower than most and pummel the living shit out of the guitar with my right hand.

For people who want that massively-saturated EL-34 sound, hunt down a used Bogner Uberschall. It actually manages to stay musical and articulate under crushing amounts of gain.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Eh, for the price, I never understood why people didn't grab a 6505. Honestly, with a bit of a sympathetic ear and some patience and you can get some fucking ridiculous tones out of it. If you're dead set on the EL sound as opposed to a 6L6 tone,as noodles says, grab an Über.

When I'm a millionaire the only amps I'm gonna buy are an Über and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - all I'll want. And the Bogner kicks inordinate amounts of ass, and what's better, doesn't have Joe Satriani's name on it.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
i HATED the jsx. HATED. Passionate fucking loathing :lol:

i dont know why either, its right up my alley :lol:

how much is a used uber going for these days anyways?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Satch's tone cut a hell of a lot better than Petrucci's when I saw them with Gilbert at G3 a few years ago. Gilbert's fucking 2x12 Laney cut a hell of a lot better too. Poor Petrucci had a stack as tall as him, and no mids whatsoever :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I had a JSX for about a year. Too compressed, too much unusable gain. The Ultra channel is useless about midway, and sounds solid state. The crunch channel is pretty good though. The clean is clean, but too sterile.
I was really looking forward to trying the JSX50, but it doesn't look like that's happening. I am still happy with my DC though, nearly two years layer. Longest I've ever had an amp, I think. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I thought I loved mine (I had it for almost 2 years) until I plugged into a Mesa Mark III.
the JSX was gone in a week.
I had my JSX, a Rectoverb and my Mark III all at the same time so I could A/B them.
the 2 Mesas just crushed it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts