Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas Rangers fan dies trying to catch ball - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Almost a year after a similar incident, tragedy struck again at a Texas Rangers game Thursday night when a fan fell over a railing while trying to catch a ball.

The fan, who was not identified, flipped over the railing of the outfield seats. He fell about 20 feet -- crashing head-first into an area near a scoreboard as his horrified son watched.

The man was rushed to a hospital where he died, the Arlington Fire Department said.

"We're very heavy-hearted about this," said Nolan Ryan, legendary former pitcher and Texas Rangers CEO and president. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

Major League Baseball officials said the incident occurred in the second inning of the game at Rangers Ballpark after star outfielder Josh Hamilton threw a ball in the stands for fans.

"I think as any of us would be, Josh is very distraught as the entire team is," Ryan said.

Another fan who was sitting near the victim saw him leaning over the rail. The second man tried to grab on to the victim's shirt, but could not hold on.
The fall, captured on video footage, shows the victim's son -- decked in a Rangers hat and t-shirt -- reaching towards his father as the man tumbled over the railing.

One fan who saw the fall described the incident to CNN affiliate WFAA.

"Just as the ball hit his hands, it kind of threw him off balance and he went head-first," he said. "It looked awful because you knew there was no way he was going to land on his feet "
The incident occurred almost a year after another fall at a Texas Rangers game.
Wow. That is just awful. :(

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fuck, you think they would have installed some netting or something after the first one...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I heard about this - they said on the news second time this has happened this year - first I believe was at the Rockies stadium. So sad.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
:(

·
Banned
13,826 Posts
Saw that earlier today... Terrible. Think of the kid that saw his dad falling... :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think all the news outlets rushing to post the video are pretty tasteless. :noway:

·
Banned
13,826 Posts
^

He probably tried to catch the ball for his son and lost his balance in the moment... He probably didn't think he'd died if he fell. People survive higher drops. He actually landed on his head, that's why he died on his way to the hospital.

4,429 Posts
I highly doubt he was planning to fall in any way. I was at a reds game where a similar thing happened with a foul ball. Except that guy fell from one deck to another. Broke nearly every bone in his body. I believe he survived though.

·
The Assassin
100 Posts
is it just me or do more fans die at sporting games than the players who are playing? like the girl awhile back who died because of the puck to the dome. difference is the NHL put a rule its required to have netting around the rink. i could see the same happening in the mlb now

·
The Assassin
100 Posts
thats my point one person dies and the nhl fixes the problem... how many til the mlb does the same?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts