Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is it? It was found at the bottom of the sea aboard an ancient Greek ship. Its seeming complexity has prompted decades of study, although some of its functions remained unknown. Recent X-rays of the device have now confirmed the nature of the Antikythera mechanism, and discovered several surprising functions. The Antikythera mechanism has been discovered to be a mechanical computer of an accuracy thought impossible in 80 BC, when the ship that carried it sunk. Such sophisticated technology was not thought to be developed by humanity for another 1,000 years. Its wheels and gears create a portable orrery of the sky that predicted star and planet locations as well as lunar and solar eclipses. The Antikythera mechanism, shown above, is 33 centimeters high and similar in size to a large book.
APOD: 2011 January 9 - The Antikythera Mechanism

Antikythera mechanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy shit! That is awesome. It always amazes me how advanced some ancient civilizations were.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
if you can name a single way how any ancient civilizations were more advanced than us without using a computer, go nuts. please. I'd love to see it.
The Egyptian Pyramids. Specifically, the Great Pyramid at Giza. Does it qualify as "more advanced?" I dunno.... but it qualifies as "beyond our current knowledge."

Wikipedia said:
"The logistics of construction at the Giza site are staggering when you think that the ancient Egyptians had no pulleys, no wheels, and no iron tools. Yet, the dimensions of the pyramid are extremely accurate and the site was leveled within a fraction of an inch over the entire 13.1-acre base. This is comparable to the accuracy possible with modern construction methods and laser leveling. That's astounding. With their `rudimentary tools,' the pyramid builders of ancient Egypt were about as accurate as we are today with 20th century technology."
Egyptian pyramid construction techniques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
if you can name a single way how any ancient civilizations were more advanced than us without using a computer, go nuts. please. I'd love to see it.
Along with the pyramids in South America, this mechanism, and Stonehenge. We are still trying to figure that shit out. Now are we more advanced in everything over the ancients? No.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
These people achieved these feats with nothing but simple hand tools. If they weren't more advanced than us, then they were definitely staggeringly more skilled.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Along with the pyramids in South America, this mechanism, and Stonehenge. We are still trying to figure that shit out. Now are we more advanced in everything over the ancients? No.
Just because we don't know how to do it the way they did it doesn't mean they were more advanced than us in that area. It just means they were more advanced than most people expect them to have been.

We are more advanced than them in every single area, BUT they were pretty damn advanced in some areas.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Stonehenge isn't actually that amazing (the others certainly are though), some guy replicated it in his backyard.

There are lots of other "ancient mysteries", but I'm sure you guys have already read about them on cracked or in wired :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts