Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after some discussion in budda's pickup swap thread, I decided to add a push/pull pot to my Ibanez AX110XL to split my Seymour Duncan JB.

Honestly, one of the best mods I've done in a while, the JB sounds so sweet split into single-coil. I was never super-happy with the cleans I was getting out of the JB on its own, it's alright, but when it's split, it's flat-out perfect. This will hold off my P-Rails GAS for a while :yesway: Now I'm tempted to add a neck pickup and do the same for it...and maybe add piezos :lol: At any rate, this guitar is officially my project guitar for trying out new things, especially DIY stuff.

For those unfamiliar, here's a pic of the guitar (this isn't my guitar, but mine looks just like this, except worn a bit, and the pickup says "Seymour Duncan" on it :lol: ):

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
:metal: Come to think of it, I've got two push-pull pots still in the package around here... I bet it wouldn't be hard to put one in my RG4 and one in my RG7. Perhaps dedicate them to the bridge pickup... hmmm....

Nice mod!

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:metal: Come to think of it, I've got two push-pull pots still in the package around here... I bet it wouldn't be hard to put one in my RG4 and one in my RG7. Perhaps dedicate them to the bridge pickup... hmmm....

Nice mod!
Yeah, it wasn't too hard to wire up, though given my less-than-ideal, non-existent workbench, my wiring job is sloppy as hell :lol: It works, but it ain't pretty.

You could also get it to split both pickups at the same time, for some Strat/Tele tones, or use one as a tone pot in the same guitar so you can split the neck/bridge independently.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I really like the sound of a JB in parallel. Almost as twangy and glassy as split, but still hum-cancelling.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The JB is pretty much the most awesome tapped humbucker ever. :yesway:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Yeah, but I have a girlfriend :fawk:

[action=eleven59]kind of feels bad for that, but couldn't resist. :lol:[/action]
Boobs are boobs. I'd spend $20 on my girlfriends boobs just as well as some fine young intelligent pre-nursing student's :rofl:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
The JB is pretty much the most awesome tapped humbucker ever. :yesway:
I shouldnt change a pot in the hamer to a push/pull.. really i shouldnt..

you bastard :lol: *that's why my 7 is getting a push/pull per pickup...*

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:agreed: Even though I've only tried the one so far, I'm very impressed. Thanks for the tip :yesway:
Send a JB to Wolfe sometime. It's like the difference between a Heineken and a Sam Adams.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I shouldnt change a pot in the hamer to a push/pull.. really i shouldnt..

you bastard :lol: *that's why my 7 is getting a push/pull per pickup...*
I thought I already told you to do that? :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I have an '80s JB in the middle position of my "Number One" guitar and it's the most versatile thing ever.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Around $50-60, if I remember right.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts