Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the people who brought you Ken's CD Haul Thread. B&N had a sale, so I snagged a bunch of stuff tonight. :yesway:

First two books of Glen Cook's Starfishers series, since I fucking loved the Black Company:

Amazon.com: Starfishers Volume 1: Shadowline (Starfishers Trilogy) (9781597801676): Glen Cook: Books

Aaand some more Cook, first two in Instrumentalities of the Night:

Amazon.com: The Tyranny of the Night: Book One of the…

Along with the next three Takesi Kovacs books, since I'm on a Morgan kick. :yesway:

Pardon the crappy pic. :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Nice :yesway: I've added a few more Christopher Moore to my collection (Practical Demonkeeping, Bite Me, A Dirty Job, and I borrowed Fool, and already own Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck, Lamb, Lustlizard of Melancholy Cove, and Fluke) and I just bought and read Fight Club finally.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Chris, bro-chacho, I tried finding the Black Company books while I was at Border's this past Friday, and they didn't have ANY :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They had the first couple at Barnes & Noble on 28 in Salem NH when I was there tonight.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
I'll have pictures when the Amazon shipments come in, but I had a decent day for books...

Spherical CR Geometry and Dehn Surgery by Richard Schwartz - I've only vaguely heard of these subjects, but how much fun could this possibly *not* be with a title like that?

Dynamics of One Complex Variable by John Milnor - if this doesn't make me think more about complex analysis, nothing will.

Cohomologie Galoisienne by J.P. Serre - I'll learn French and Galois cohomology at the same time even if it kills me. (It probably will.)

Homotopical Algebra by Daniel Quillen - another subject that I don't know much about. (All I know is that I should know more of it... whee!)

Algebraic Topology by Edwin Spanier - a classic, and finally one that I know a little about.

Fundamental Algebraic Geometry by Barbara Fantechi, Luc Illusie, et al. - despite what the title would lead one to believe, this is not an introductory book. Then again, since mathematicians have been known to give names like Lie algebras and Lie groups, Killing forms, Heyting (pronounced 'hating') algebras, more forms of surgery than there are organs in the human body, forcing, annihilators, assassins, and the Valuative Criterion for Separatedness (yes, something is called that) and assign dozens of meanings to regular, normal, smooth, flat, and just about any other easily-pronounced word, I shouldn't be surprised.

Jeff

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

I think that many books on math would make my brain explode.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Just for that I'm going to have to take a few pictures of the part of my bookshelf that I've unpacked and used in the last two months.

Jeff

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Just scored a hardback of Ramsey Campbell short stories for £2 from a charity shop. Oh yeah...:metal:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Just Picked up the Darkwar Omnibus by Glenn Cook and The Buntline Special: a Wierd West Tale By Michael Resnick.... I've been on a real steampunk bender lately but there isn't much (good) out :(

Chris i know you Dig Cook A lot I will let you know how this stacks up to his other stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts