Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting no where with this and need some tips for a basic set up.

I picked up a wizzer-modded ts7 to go in front of my (older 2ch) dual recto.

I was told that running my gain high and prescience high was a cause of a lot of my noise issues even with a noise reduction pedal

So, I cranked the gain down to 1 or 2 on the amp, the channel volume about noon and the master/loop control that takes over when the loop is on, and the prescience down to about 9'oclock. This is basically a clean tone.

Stepping on the ts7 with all settings around 9 oclock, nothing really happens. at noon, i just get a little louder, and tons of feedback, but i still don't have any break up. I'm at a blues tone at best. Cranked to 3pm its just a mess and has no definition at all, but it's still not any type of distortion tone i want to play metal with. It honestly sounds like the 'devil music' preset on line 6 if you know what i mean.

So, what am i doing wrong? Everyone seems to swear by this type of set up and I think it sounds horrid.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
First of all, most people don't use the OD boost technique with the pedal settings low. The "normal" way they do it is to run the amp with medium gain, but then run the pedal with the level at max-ish, the gain at zero-ish, and then the tone usually somewhere in the middle.

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Uhhhhh :ugh: most of the "famous" modern uses of OD boosting is level at around noon. 3/4 at the maximum. Unless I am way off, no one is maxing the level.

I mean you can do it, but it sounds like utter shit. At least on tube screamer designs.
I think it's a personal preference thing, I've definitely heard of people leaving the level pretty high, often close to maxed.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
You max the level you will get noise in most cases.

I've never used a TS7, but I've used TS9s. On the pedal:
Gain at or just above zero
Tone 12 o'clock
Level start at 1 o'clock and adjust up to taste

On the amp put the gain at about 1 o'clock, knock the bass back to 8 or 9 o'clock and adjust the mid/treble/presence to taste.

Also crank the fucking amp. Get the thing screaming and you will DEFINITELY hear a difference.

Solid state rectifier too IMO.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
+1 to the level on noon or thereabouts. I could see putting the level up real high with something like a JCM800 that needs a lot of "push" into the front end.

Really, I would set-up the pedal, then slowly bring the gain up to where it's just enough. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
JBRoll has an epic post about using boosts around here somewhere.

[action=Chris]runs off to find it[/action]

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Your gain is still really high man. 1 O clock on the dual rectifier in red/orange channel on modern is more than enough gain unboosted for anything slightly short of Mortician style death metal.

When I run a boost the gain on my amp is usually around 11:30.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Most pro users run the level at maximum.
Like Andy Sneap style boosting? Seriously? Well I guess I was wrong. :lol:

I'd still like to see or hear some examples of that though, every instance I have ever seen of one in a "pro" setting has been ~11:30-12:00 o'clock

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Adjust 808 for 30 seconds -> Adjust parameters for 5 minutes :confused:
Have you ever used an Axe-Fx man? :lol: The interface on it is awesome, it's extremely easy to use.

I just like the 808 because it's easier to step on/off, and I only use it once in a great while. The rest of the time, it serves as a cable extender. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Have you ever used an Axe-Fx man? :lol: The interface on it is awesome, it's extremely easy to use.

I just like the 808 because it's easier to step on/off, and I only use it once in a great while. The rest of the time, it serves as a cable extender. :lol:
Nah, I haven't. Sean and I need to do a Rockies area meetup so I can try his out and he can experience the wonderment of things like battery powered guitars and 24.75 Jacksons.

I was just judging by the amount of shit I adjust when I try do anything through my interface with amp sims. The axefx is considerably less time consuming to dial in?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts