Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious about this. We all have our heroes - in the music business and out - but within the music biz, which guitarist would you like to meet one day?

They don't have to be "metal" guys. Edit: for the sake of the discussion, let's say they have to be alive.

Mine:

• Ted Nugent
  • **** Jones (Foreigner)
  • Adam Jones (Tool, etc.)
  • David Gilmour
  • Gary Moore
  • Robin Trower
  • Eddie Van Halen
  • Dave Mustaine
  • James Hetfield
  • Alex Lifeson
  • Rik Emmett

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I couldn't care less about meeting a guitarist. If we're talking about who you'd like to take lessons from....

Chris Poland
Michael Romeo
Jeff Loomis
Mattias Ecklund

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Meet? Like, shake their hand or something? I don't care, I don't really give enough of a fuck anymore, metal guys are pretty much just dudes like the rest of us. I've met enough, hung out with some, cool dudes, but thinking someone is a cool dude just because of their music sort of goes away once you are past the age of 18.

The lone exception is YJM. We could do coke and crash Ferraris and battle three headed dragons.

I actually couldn't comprehend meeting Steve Harris, who is my all time favorite instrumentalist and idol, any of the members of Iron Maiden for that matter. Iron Maiden is pretty much my religion, and I don't regard them as human, more gods really. I don't think my brain could handle it.

Bruce Dickinson actually read a letter I sent in back on his radio show on BBC (dunno if he does it anymore, maybe back in '06-'07) and I nearly died. One of my favorite childhood memories in regards to metal actually. I don't even remember half the bands I've seen live, but when that happened I was so psyched I couldn't sleep for like, two days.

Not to turn this into the Iron Maiden worship thread. But even seeing Iron Maiden live, from a couple hundred feet away, it's hard to comprehend you are in the same continent/arena/whatever. Absolutely godlike, nothing else comes close.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I'd like to meet Jon Anderson, Vic Wooten, and Hiromi Uehara, just to say thank you.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
David Gilmour.

If I could just shake his hand and say "Thank you"....I don't get starstruck at all, but I might if I were ever in the same room as him.

I'd love to shoot the shit with Devin Townsend about anything except music and it'd be awesome to have a conversation with Eric Johnson about old Strats....aside from that, I met everyone else I've ever wanted to meet.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to turn this into the Iron Maiden worship thread. But even seeing Iron Maiden live, from a couple hundred feet away, it's hard to comprehend you are in the same continent/arena/whatever. Absolutely godlike, nothing else comes close.
I was lucky enough, while working for a Sacramento, CA, rock station, to bring fans behind the scenes at an Iron Maiden show and we all stood onstage and sang backup vocals into a dead mic.

Didn't meet Dickinson that night - he was pissed off at a couple of people throwing shit at the stage. I did meet Janick Gers and Dave Murray who were both extraordinarily cool to us.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I actually couldn't comprehend meeting Steve Harris, who is my all time favorite instrumentalist and idol, any of the members of Iron Maiden for that matter. Iron Maiden is pretty much my religion, and I don't regard them as human, more gods really. I don't think my brain could handle it.
I met Adrian when we opened for Bruce's "Accident of Birth" tour. It's the only like I've ever locked up meeting anyone.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
none really, but Guthrie Goven seems like he would be interesting to talk to

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
This so much.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'd like to sit and talk with Stephen from Deftones. He's not the most technical player but his writing inspired me to start writing my own music.. plus we'd burn a few I'd imagine.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I don't really have a list of musicians I'd like to meet. Iron maiden would be the top of that list though.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Dave Murray
Ace Frehley
Warren Demartini
Esteban( look! Humor!)
Years and years and decades ago (I'm thinking mid eighties), I was at The Ritz in Manhattan with a friend of mine seeing Al DiMeola's band. The bathrooms at the Ritz were in the basement at the bottom of these wide marble stairs, and when I was going down there after whoever was the opening act some guy in a floor length black leather jacket was walking back up the stairs. Someone behind me yelled out to him, "Hey man, great seeing you here" or something and I caught a glimpse of the guy as he walked past me. So, I ask some stranger (quite loudly) also walking down the stairs, "Was that Vinnie Vincent?" right as the tape the bar was playing ended so it seemed like I was yelling it. Leather jacked definitely heard me. Later, after Al had finished his first set, my friend and I were on line to get beers and he says he heard someone say that Ace Frehley was there that night. So I remarked how it must be killing him to stand a watch a real guitarist play and wondered out loud if he was taking notes and we laughed kind of loudly about that since we were already half in the bag when we got there. So, the guy on line in front of me turns around, and wouldn't you know, its floor length leather jacket wearing Ace and he is none too pleased. So I said, honest to god, "Hey Vinnie! Did you bring Ace with you? I heard he was here". Ace, not amused, scowled at us and got off the beer line. :D

Then maybe 15 years later, my brother who was a highway cop just north of NYC was chasing a speeder on the Bronx River Parkway when the speeder's car went off the road and into river. Guess who was driving? :lol: The next time i saw my brother he said, "So I met Ace Frehley" before proceeding to tell the tale. Good times indeed.

And those are my Ace Frehley stories.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts