Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...are actually incredibly awesome! It's a surprisingly good read, with high-level language and a really interesting, darker treatment of mythology and magic than you normally get with fantasy, especially the stuff of this era. You can definitely tell he was a friend and colleague of H.P. Lovecraft!

The best part is that it's a collection of short stories, so you can pick it up, read one or two, then put it down and not worry too much about forgetting important plot points or getting completely lost in it for a week while you get through all 850 pages.

Strongly recommended. :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
I've been meaning to pick up a collection of the short stories. I love low fantasy :yesway:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I got all three books though sadly I only got through one of them. His narrative style is so fantastic. For me, alot of other fantasy novels or stories don't even come close to Howands storytelling ability. Tis a shame that he died :(

·
Read Only
1 Posts
i have a crap-load of Conan Comics from when I was a Kid (both the Color ones and the B&W ones)

I will have to pick that book up

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Check out Howard's non-Conan fiction as well, as there're some real gems there as well.:)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I read this, the more racism and sexism I see in these stories. It's very interesting, I wonder what Rob Howard's personal leanings were?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
The more I read this, the more racism and sexism I see in these stories. It's very interesting, I wonder what Rob Howard's personal leanings were?
Hmm dont know that he ever openly mentioned it or not.

Let's face facts tho - he must have had some issues as he did kill himself...

The Edgar Rice Burroughs books are pretty racist (Especially Tarzan...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts