Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll, ya see, I just started a solo Funeral Doom side project called Decayed Conception, and I had written one half of the first song and put it on SoundCloud and tumblr, then I get this message on Tumblr from some record label called Domestic Genocide saying that they want to release and promote the album for me?!1/!?
So I recorded the rest of the song and they are still keen to sign me and release my album! I'm just like wat. This is such a gnarly feeling.
Took me two or three days to write this song, a week or so to record, and about 2 weeks to mix.
there are TEN GUITAR LAYERS on here. As well as 7 drum tracks and two vocal tracks. This is definitely my biggest undertaking yet.
I'm gonna re-record everything and re-program these drums when it comes time to send it away.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Something tells me this "label" is a label like some kid with Fruity Loops and a pair of Beats is a "producer." Do they have a website? What other artists have they signed? What's their budget to promote you, and what do you give them in return?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Something tells me this "label" is a label like some kid with Fruity Loops and a pair of Beats is a "producer." Do they have a website? What other artists have they signed? What's their budget to promote you, and what do you give them in return?
All of the above. It's so shady now, people calling themselves this and that. I mean look at me, I call myself a producer :shrug:

I knew a dude who wanted to be in my old band, he was going to try out for drums. I noticed on his Facebook he listed "Founder at *insert record label name*" as his occupation. I asked him a bunch of questions about it, partly in the hope to do a little back and forth band-referral. Never heard from him again :lol: He was obviously just talking the talk and really had no clue. It just looked good on his Facebook.

Just be careful. A lot of people aren't intending to rip anybody off or screw anybody over or anything, but they have delusions of grandeur, and sometimes that's worse.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Domestic Genocide Records, well this is how many bands he has on his label.

so I'm pretty convinced.
Having a ton of bands on the "label" doesn't mean it's a viable business move. There's more research to be done man. Namely, what the label is specifically willing to put towards your project. If you ask for specifics and just get some vague answers like "promotion", I'd say stay away.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Having a ton of bands on the "label" doesn't mean it's a viable business move. There's more research to be done man. Namely, what the label is specifically willing to put towards your project. If you ask for specifics and just get some vague answers like "promotion", I'd say stay away.
This.

Plus I've never heard of any of those bands... That's what promotion is for.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Domestic Genocide Records, well this is how many bands he has on his label.

so I'm pretty convinced.
I haven't heard of a single one of those bands, and there's a lot of repetition. Anyway, if you go to their "real" page (the one that isn't band camp) you'll see one artist, who's a one-man side project, and one feature about another band, who's also a side project of a band I've only seen mentioned in passing.

Still, we all have to start somewhere. If you want to sign with these guys, that's your right, but I would strongly recommend asking 1) what do they get from you, if you sign, 2) what do they give you in return, and 3) what sort of assurances you have that they'll give you what they say you will and what your recourses are if you don't.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so I've talked to this dude, and he says that since any of the money made from this album will be going to a Paw Justice, an anti-animal abuse charity, he's gonna pay for the mastering/mixing himself, as well as sending it out to tonnes of websites. He wants about 70 minutes of doom/depressive which I can happily provide, as well as a bio and some pictures for press. I've been talking to him heaps. He sounds really genuine.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
And is that what you would do with any money you made off this?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
No, man, it seems like a scam so we're warning you off. There's a difference.

And you were REALLY planning on donating every cent you made off your music to an animal shelter?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Ok, since he said he'd pay for it to be mixed/mastered, recommend me as the engineer, so we can all keep tabs on this motherfucker ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah I wanna donate the money. I feel really strongly about the issue of animal abuse and factory farming. Its not a flippin scam. You're all so jaded. Soz I even brought it up.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Are you 12? :lol:
Yeah dude, we're just trying to make sure you don't get fucked, how is that being jaded? A lot of guys here, including those who have commented, are experienced long-term musicians, and know a thing or two about the industry. So when this new wave of self-professed promoters and 'label' owners arose in the last few years, they can tell the difference between those and the real deal. If they can offer some insight, I'd fucking listen.

If it turns out to be kosher, then fuckin ay, congrats :metal:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Trust me, man, "jaded" is just another word for "experienced." :lol:

Mattayus has a great suggestion, actually. It'd also give you a good sense of how serious they are. Have they said anything about promotion budgets or what over and above having your album mastered (which could mean a decent investment, or it could mean some guy with a cracked copy of Waves boosting the volume) they're planning on doing in return for signing you and having you give up the rights to (all, from the sound of it) your earnings?

Reactions: Jason
1 - 20 of 27 Posts