Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I started this on ss.org, didn't take on too well, but I noticed both here and there, there are a lot of people posting videos and asking for technique help.

I figured it would be wise to make a thread were everyone can post vids and get their technique examined.

There are some really good players on here that would be of great help to us lower humans! :cough: Angel :cough:

Does anybody else consider this a good idea?? If so post and lets improve our guitar technique together!!! :metal:

~Sean

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a feud between ss.org and metalguitarist that I don't know about? :ugh:

Anyway, I guess I will go first. I messed up on the diminished arps in my solo, or maybe I just used a synthetic scale ;) .

Let the criticism commence!

P.S. I guess I make funny faces when I play. I look like a ratard.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Less a feud, more a feeling of ill will. Most of us here were the die hards over there that left after it became inundated with idiots. Coupled with the fact taht that they all come over here whenever ss.org goes down (i.e every month) I think there is more than a little bit of friction. :lol:

I'm overexaggerating of course. But...

Oh, and Chris used to run ss.argh

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have no critique as you are an infinitely better guitarist than me :lol:
Hahahaha, thanks Stitch.

Hopefully nobody cares that I am a member on both forums :noplease:

I must be totally in the dark about this interwebz stuff.

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
Seanbabs said:
Hopefully nobody cares that I am a member on both forums :noplease:
You don't have to feel bad, my first post was meant to be a bit funny - yet as always only I laugh :ugh:

A lot of mg members visit/post on ss.org (Heyy Rick :wavey:) nothing bad about it :)

Like Stitch wrote - really good playing :yesway:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sebastian!

Anybody see anything glaringly wrong? I know my vibrato sucks and I have been working on that hard.

Also, this thread is for everybody to post and get some advice! I will be here to give advice to anybody who posts, unless you are really good, then you just get rep and a high five!

~Sean

·
I dislike Porcupine Tree.
189 Posts
Wish I had a camera. This would be sooper-useful. I agree on the vibrato thing in particular -- a confident vibrato makes absolutely everything one plays sound much better. Doesn't even have to be a technically "good" one -- there's a million and one different kinds of vibrato out there. It just has to be confident and comfortable-sounding.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish I had a camera. This would be sooper-useful. I agree on the vibrato thing in particular -- a confident vibrato makes absolutely everything one plays sound much better. Doesn't even have to be a technically "good" one -- there's a million and one different kinds of vibrato out there. It just has to be confident and comfortable-sounding.
Definitely. Honestly, I know how to get a good vibrato but I just never focused on it WHILE I was playing until somebody told me I suck, hahaha. And really, that comment itself did more for my playing than another week of alternate picking exercises would have.

If you can find a camera I would encourage people to post of video because critique can really save a hard working musician a lot of time by narrowing down what techniques to work on :yesway:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
p.s.

This is NOT about who is better at guitar. And honestly, does it really matter? All that matters is that you are better than you were the day before, so why not get some advice!

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is a quick POS Improv i did to see how my camera sound is (it sucks :lol:)
Dude, your downpicking is soooo tight!!! Thoroughly impressed!

And the speedpicking parts, it seems like your right hand tenses up to get the speed you want, which is fine but it could end up limiting your top picking speed.
Maybe try to work on relaxing that right hand as you pick fast.

I like the way you approach your scales. Some serious chops there:yesway:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
aww shucks - thanks guys. I always think my stuff sounds like cheese

Yeah I tighten up my right hand a bit - old slippery pick so I tend to hunker down with it. Plus (iirc) that was in drop tuning and the string tension was pretty slack so picking was a bit rubbery.

I kind of do the Lynch open hand thing :meh:

Actually I don't have much problem with picking but my ring finger & pinky on my left hand got broke & healed up a bit off when I was a kid so they have a bit of reduced mobility.

I'll have to put up some legato stuff and have you guys take a look at that. I keep toying with the idea of recording some stuff but Drew will be on his third release by the time I get things a rollin

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts