Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stitch said:
I've had serious sound guy issues ever since I walked off stage after being called 'amateur' over the PA system for needing a monitor for our drummer if we were to play our music. :lol:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...e-out-dick-soundman-content-2.html#post326649
Wow. :lol:

As it becomes quickly apparent to me that the stereotypes about soundmen (soundpeople! :mad:) are at least mostly true, I realize that we sorely lack a thread for sound man stories. Have at!

This one reminded me of a show a couple weeks back, when the sound-hillbilly not only acted like a complete douche-nozzle who was disinterested in the band's sound, but didn't even make the most rudimentary contact with us while we were standing there waiting for him to pull his head up from his console. He spun his fingers in the air as if to say, "Let's hear you so I can mix the FOH," so we all played a chord for a minute, smacked the drums, etc. Everything was miked up or DI'ed, they had at least 24 tracks, 5kW and huge FOH towers. There was no drum monitor, but there was a nice big array of overheads so I figured it should work out.

He keeps staring down.

We stop.

He looks up, makes the same gesture. We do the same thing.

We stop.

I say into the mic, "I need more of the other guitarist in my monitor."

He looks up, frustrated, stomps over to the promoter. Rants something.

She walks up to us: "There are no instruments in the monitors."

Me: "Yes, I know. Can I please get instruments in the monitors?"

Her: "No, you don't understand... there ARE NO instruments in the monitors."

Me: "Oh. There SHALL be no instruments in the monitors. Gotcha. Fuck it. Let's roll!"

:facepalm:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

"sound hillbilly" :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

"sound hillbilly" :lol:
You shoulda seen the guy. He was like a Shure-endorsed Deliverance extra. :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Last weekend, we done a soundcheck, and I walked out front as I always do to see how it sounds. Once we'd finished, he asked if everything was alright, to which I replied "I can't hear myself out front", to which he replied, "What do you want to hear yourself out front for?! You're stood on stage!". Which swiftly got him the response "I'm sure the audience will fucking LOVE hearing no guitars!". Fucking arse-cretin.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Man, the gig we just played Thrusday. If you walked up to the mics to sing, the drums disappeared, since they weren't in the monitors at all. However, my own fucking guitar was CRANKED in my monitor, and no one else's. :facepalm:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then what the hell else is gonna go through them!? :scratch: :mad:
Just the vox, dude. :lol:

It made no sense to me whatsoever. Everything was running into the console - he was incapable (mentally or connection-wise) of routing those instruments to the monitors. Everybody was standing around staring at us like we were dicks for waiting for him to so much as look at us and make a rudimentary communication. It was incredible. We managed to play a decent set. :shrug:

Moar stories! :fever::pickle::wallbash::scream2::monkeydance: :fawk::gayfight:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
no one ever hears my solos live :(
What's wrong with you? You've got four channels and a solo boost! You should ALWAYS be heard live. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I've been searching for this but clearly I've never shared it on here; The Colour Pink Is Gay played a gig three months back with Martyr Defiled and Postmortem Promises - moderately big, well known metal bands over here. They were on tour in the UK.

I should preface by saying that the promoter, as nice and harmless chap as he is, was completely useless. He' a bit ditzy - in this instance I turned up at 1530 (half an hour before load in time) and the two touring bands turned up at 1600 (when they were told), both to find the venue locked. An hour goes by and after countless knocking on the door and calling around I finally get through to the promoter who says "oops" and that he'll "be there in a minute".

Following this catastrophuck, the two touring bands get a full soundcheck with their own soundguy. We were opening (local scene-politics) so we soundchecked next since we only had time for first and last. The kid that's running the desk is local, a year younger than me (20) and as I later learned it's his second night of working the sound desk EVER and his first there.

We set up on stage. We're using the touring kit, bass amp and the same cabs, and me and spud are using the same brand heads as the touring bands. We don't use any samples, so the setup is IDENTICAL from a sound desk point of view.

We set up, do a line test before running through our newest song. We fuck it up. Surprising, but it's a ridiculously technical slice of constantly shifting time signatures. We try again. We fuck it up. At this point I notice all I have in my monitor is my guitar, and the drummer has nothing. Nothing has been rewired, all the mics are set up as they were for the touring bands. The cretin claims that the original settings were wiped and he doesn't know what slider does what, that we're running out of time, but that he knows the monitor is working.

Unhappy, but confident we can play through it (we've done so in worse conditions) we get ready for open doors.

We open the set with an older song, and nail it, despite the fact that my monitor just has me and I can tell that our drummer's monitor still isn't on. We then launch into our newest song - halfway through it the drummers monitor (which was cranked as loud as it could go, it turns out) starts blasting out Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" - the background album that's playing between acts. Needless to say a bit of nineties 4/4 clashes pretty magnificently with what he was playing and he grinds to an absolute halt, which we then do too. I give the sound guy a look but get on with it; we then launch into our oldest song, one that we all know inside out and have never screwed up.

We get 12 bars into it before our drummer has to stop, complaining that the monitor is now giving him his kick and my guitar (which is what he wanted in the first place) but that it has a couple of seconds of latency to it.

At this point I call the sound guy out on my mic (I'm of the opinion that you treat the sound guy with utmost respect, since he has the power to make your band sound awful, but it honestly couldn't get any worse at this point) and tell him to get his act together, that these are stupid, stupid mistakes and for him to sort it. He replies (over the entire FOH system) that if we weren't such amateurs we'd be able to work through it and it was our fault for looking like idiots.

I literally threw my guitar off stage and marched out the room, although to bystanders it did look like I was headed straight for the sound booth :lol:

Needless to say, the next band had flawless sound. :noplease: We got a write-up in the local paper though - any publicity is good publicity, and all that...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.