Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season 4 just dropped on Amazon, I'm excited to get to it this weekend. I got into the series late, but I was hooked after the first few episodes and binged the three available seasons in about a week. I'm considering reading the books since I enjoyed the show so much.

Anybody else watching?

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,782 Posts
I haven't watched any of the show but (not to be that guy) I've read all of the books. Super addicting stuff, I know Mike has read a ton of them too. They aren't ground breaking or To Kill A Mockingbird or anything, but they're definitely fun page-turners. :yesway:

If you're into sci-fi, The Lost Fleet series is the same type of stuff.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41101-the-lost-fleet

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I've read the whole series, and they're awesome page turners for sure. Season 4 will be interesting since some very pivotal shit is about to go down

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,782 Posts
I've also been watching the Altered Carbon series on Netflix while I'm on the treadmill lately. Only a few episodes in and it's not too bad. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
I absolutely loved the style of Altered Carbon, though the story itself was maybe above average but nothing too amazing.

The Expanse has been in my list for a long time now (along with other stuff like Mr. Robot), but I just keep watching other stuff. I definitely need to check it out sometime, though.

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I'll have to check out Altered Carbon myself.

Mr. Robot was pretty cool, too.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,782 Posts
I absolutely loved the style of Altered Carbon, though the story itself was maybe above average but nothing too amazing.
The story is a lot better in the books (which is always the case) but I'm right with you on the style of the show. They really did a great job with that dirty noir feel to it, where even the futuristic stuff feels dirty and run down. Very Blade Runner-esque.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I fucking love the Expanse. I’m on book 3 and I’ve watched the first 3 seasons, plus the first 2 of season 4. I’m totally hooked and it’s overtaken BSG reimagined as my favorite sci-fi franchise.

Altered Carbon starts really strong, but like Naren said, the plot is a little lackluster. Super engaging universe rife with RPG idea pilfering; The Expanse is included there too.

Mr. Robot is super rad as well, though I’m not a programmer, so some of that stuff went right over my head.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm halfway through season 4 and it's awesome so far, although I'm not liking the recasting of Avasarala's husband.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
The show is fine, but like Chris, I liked the book version better, even if I didn't care much for the writing style. I found each chapter just dropped you into a conversation between characters you hadn't met yet, then later told you who they were. I found myself re-reading chapters which made for a much slower read, but the story was great.

As for The Expanse, I thought it was coming next week to compete with The Witcher, I'll have to check out season 4. My wife and I have watched all 3 seasons to this point and it's a great show.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
The story is a lot better in the books (which is always the case) but I'm right with you on the style of the show. They really did a great job with that dirty noir feel to it, where even the futuristic stuff feels dirty and run down. Very Blade Runner-esque.
Yeah, I'm watching it, too. The visuals are stunning, and James Purefoy is always a pleasure to watch - that man can seriously act.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,782 Posts
Yeah, I'm watching it, too. The visuals are stunning, and James Purefoy is always a pleasure to watch - that man can seriously act.
Yeah I'm a fan of him too. He RULED as Mark Anthony in Rome, and I think I'm the only person around who liked Solomon Kane.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I'm halfway through season 4 and it's awesome so far, although I'm not liking the recasting of Avasarala's husband.
I've only watched Episode one, but my belief still stands that Avasarala, Amos and the Drummer character (that's really Pa from the books) are carrying the show at this point.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Yeah I'm a fan of him too. He RULED as Mark Anthony in Rome, and I think I'm the only person around who liked Solomon Kane.
I wanted to like Solomon Kane, though. :lol: I thought James Purefoy did a great job in the role, at least, even if the movie was really boring.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I love the guy playing Murtry in the show. It was pretty mindblowing to see that he's a pro-level beatboxer.
He played Murtry like a boss, too. You wanted the strangle the motherfucker every time he was on screen, but nothing he said was incorrect, and it was all delivered perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I'm about 5 episodes in and this season is boring, with a lot of talking and a lot of references to characters I do not remember since it's been over a year since I saw season 3.

And a lot of talking in belter voice. 5 people in a room all talking belter for 10 straight minutes grates on me. Right now this show feels like a slow wannabe Mass Effect. I'll finish out the season, but I'm in no rush because clearly they weren't either.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I'm about 5 episodes in and this season is boring, with a lot of talking and a lot of references to characters I do not remember since it's been over a year since I saw season 3.

And a lot of talking in belter voice. 5 people in a room all talking belter for 10 straight minutes grates on me. Right now this show feels like a slow wannabe Mass Effect. I'll finish out the season, but I'm in no rush because clearly they weren't either.
A lot of this is setup, and a microcosm of the issues between Belters and Inners that won't go away. Plus, watching Murtry and Amos glare at each other is worth it alone, IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts