Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw it at midnight. Pretty much just as awesome as I expected: cliched storyline, mindless violence, cheesy dialog. If you expect high art, you will be disappointed. Just keep in mind this is basically Rambo V, and you will enjoy the hell out of The Expendables.

I only have two complaints:

1. No Clint Eastwood

At the end, the plane should have somehow been destroyed and they should have had a chopper land suddenly. Then, Arnold should have popped out and screamed "Get to da choppa!" They missed a golden opportunity and I'm a little disappointed.

Anyone else?

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Must. not. read. spoiler.

Seeing it later tonight (9:45) and am expecting to walk out looking to kill something and with a full beard

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Seriously. I strangled eight old ladies and pegged a baby with a bowie knife after I saw it. Really, I did.

Also, notice the blatant product placement for Luna Guitars. :lol:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
A friend and I were talking about it and noted that there was no Norris, Segal or Van damme. But we also concluded it was probably better that way :lol:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

Sitting in theater waiting for it to start. So pumped.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw. Sucks that you were disappointed. See, I went fully expecting it to be an extremely cheesy and B movie-ish violent free-for-all. That was exactly what I got.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Aw. Sucks that you were disappointed. See, I went fully expecting it to be an extremely cheesy and B movie-ish violent free-for-all. That was exactly what I got.
My problem was :

It had the same problem that Transformers I & II did, which was during the fight scenes - I had no clue who the fuck was winning. Stallone vs. Stone Cold WOULD be pretty awesome, if they weren't fucking fighting in a castle dungeon with low lighting and shaky cameras. Same for the Lundgren/Li match - I could kind of tell what was going on, but only because Jet Li was in white and it was obvious.

Not to mention, the movie builds and builds and builds, then either Stallone or Crews says, "We've got 20 minutes..." and then this giant sticky-grenade-placing-montage takes place as well as them suddenly obliterating the living fuck out of the "small army"; how convenient 20 minutes seem to look like 40.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MFB said:
It had the same problem that Transformers I & II did, which was during the fight scenes - I had no clue who the fuck was winning.
I know what you mean. Some of my friends were complaining about the same thing. Honestly, I didn't have that problem, but I can see how people would.

MFB said:
how convenient 20 minutes seem to look like 40
Didn't notice that, but you know I just remembered did bug me?

Why did they go through so much shit with customs and all that the first time Stallone and Statham came to the island, and then they managed to somehow fly up to the island and sneak in when they came back with the crew? Couldn't they sneak in the first time?

I brought that up after we got out of the theater and the guys were just like "Shut up, Sarah, you're ruining it with logic.":lol:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I brought that up after we got out of the theater and the guys were just like "Shut up, Sarah, you're ruining it with logic.":lol:
Trust me, I got the same exact schpiel (sp?) when :

They first left the island, and not only was Statham just kind of riding all cool and confident outside the plane's nose, but then they dropped the gasoline and set it off with a fucking flare. I looked at my friends and went, "No that's bullshit" and they were all "SHUT UP IT WAS COOL!"

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trust me, I got the same exact schpiel (sp?) when :

They first left the island, and not only was Statham just kind of riding all cool and confident outside the plane's nose, but then they dropped the gasoline and set it off with a fucking flare. I looked at my friends and went, "No that's bullshit" and they were all "SHUT UP IT WAS COOL!"
Supposedly, he really did that. I mean, Stallone broke his neck actually getting clotheslined by Steve Austin. So, I'd believe Jason Statham stuck his head out the nose of a plane, probably with a safety harness and whatnot, though.

But the gasoline... yeah. I have always heard never to light a flare if you smell gasoline, but I'm guess this is because the real danger lies in fumes being ignited when the flare is lit and not because the flare itself will set the gas alight?
Anyway, thoughts like those are the reason my friends won't go with me to see Inception. They don't think I'll be able to suspend disbelief enough not to hate it.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I would've loved to see Van Damme in there too, but I liked it anyway. As with all action movies you have to suspend your sense of belief when you take your seat, but otherwise I thought it was damn good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts