Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
It's not bad. There just wasn't anything that really stuck with me. No "I gotta hear that again" moments.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Akeldama and Planetary Duality are both masterpieces, so even if this doesn't live up to either of them, I still expect to like it. I'll probably get this album sometime soon.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Akeldama and Planetary Duality are both masterpieces.
I found myself listening to it and thinking 'We already have Devin Townsend'
Since you both expressed most of my opening thoughts, figured I'd just quote them. :yesway:

Just finished the album. Definitely a lot of Devin Townsend in there, among some others but I'm not going to bag on it. The album still sounds pretty original, especially the way they mixed a lot of elements. It's very different than Akeldama and PD, and it didn't 'connect' with me as immediately but it's still good... It'll definitely be in rotation for a little while still. The way they used clean vox, synth and other instruments had some really unique moments; possibly some Mr. Bungle or similar influence.

Anyway, I'm probably just overthinking things since I just got done with my first listen. :lol: I will say, the lead work on this fucking rips. Mike has always been good and I'm not sure how much Wes contributed to this album but there are definitely some leads that have a different phasing and vibe than what I'm used to hearing from The Faceless; in a good way. :yesway:

With that in mind, I guess this as good place to post these as any:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I find myself liking it. There's Devin, but without the Devin things that generally annoy me. It's nice to see the band growing. We'll see if it sticks with me.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
As much as I was not expecting PD V2, I was disappointed that many of the ideas that work well for them werent revisited at all... I understanding trying out new stuff but when a band completely abandons the good parts about them it just doesn't make sense to me.

I find the album's flow to be pretty horrible. Someone suggested changing it to this:

Hail Science
The Eidolon Reality
Hymn of Sanity
Accelerated Evolution
In Solitude
Autotheist Movements I, II and III
Ten Billion Years

Let's just say I'm not changing it back to normal and I enjoy the album a lot now this way.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
ya know, everyone goes on and on about how PD was SOOOOO good and this is just disappointing. Well, while PD was good, it wasnt this end all be all album that people go on about.

I'd rather get an album of a band being true to writing what they want and feel instead of doing what the fans want.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I'd rather get an album of a band being true to writing what they want and feel instead of doing what the fans want.
I'd rather get a record I enjoy listening.

This one, I don't. Heard 3 songs of that record yesterday, one was Juular by Devin, one was Blackened by Metallica, and one was boring as hell.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
While the playing is mindblowing, I thought it was musically wank :neway:

I wanted to like it but just couldnt :(

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I'd rather get a record I enjoy listening.

This one, I don't. Heard 3 songs of that record yesterday, one was Juular by Devin, one was Blackened by Metallica, and one was boring as hell.
Your not gonna like everything an artist puts out. Dont like it? Dont listen. But wanting them to do something they dont want to do just so you can enjoy it is selfish and the end product will be generic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was definitely disappointed. I love Michael keene's singing in the last album, but in this album it sounds completely different. It could have been a different person singing.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Your not gonna like everything an artist puts out. Dont like it? Dont listen. But wanting them to do something they dont want to do just so you can enjoy it is selfish and the end product will be generic.
I never said that I want them to do something only because I would like it. I roll that way: I don't like it, I don't listen to it. But I checked it out, because I liked their previous stuff, and have an opinion about it, anbd therefor am stating it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I actually really dig it. Admittedly, I hadn't heard them before so I was expecting anhything. I think it's a kickarse album and certainly right up my alley! I then listened to there other albums and didn't really get into them. What I really liked about the new album was the light and shade of it. How it was really brutal but then went sort of soft. The other albums start at 10 and don't deviate. I get bored to easy of that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts