Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was one of those movies I'd watch on a near weekly basis when I was younger (and had a copy living with the parents :lol:), hadn't seen it for a few years, and managed to get my hands on an extended version of the film the other day...

Fuck, I've always had trouble picking a favorite film, but I think this can officially stay at the top of that list... The whole film is just stunningly shot, acted well and with just enough humour to keep it from taking itself way too seriously. Add an absolutely amazing score, and you have everything needed for great cinema.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Other than the laughable geographical errors, that is absolutely one of the best westerns ever filmed. Plus, it inspired the main character in Stephen King's Dark Tower novels.

There are two kinds of people in this world...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sergio Leone directed some of the best films of Eastwood's career.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
The Sergio Leone films are definitely the films where Eastwood looks and acts cooler than any of his other films, but I have to stay that Eastwood has acted in and directed a TON of excellent films. But when I think of a "super cool Eastwood," there are two characters I think of: Dirty Harry and the Man with No Name.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
And he is fully aware of that. :lol: I mean, he picks roles for himself where he plays old guys because he knows he's an old guy. Gran Torino? Million Dollar Baby? Even back in 1992 with Unforgiven... and maybe 1985 with Pale Rider.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Old and badass are not mutually exclusive, since he played a complete badass in Gran Turino.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I think it's more like... he plays what the badass is like when he grows up really old in several of his movies. I think Unforgiven is kinda like him playing a 60 year old version of the man with no name...

I'm kind of a Clint Eastwood fan. :wub:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I loved Unforgiven for that very reason. It was like watching the man who walked away from that life, settled down, and grew old. Seeing the clumsiness and unease as he tried to force himself back into the gunslinger mold, and then seeing him slip easily into it, like an old pair of shoes, when his friend was killed was a masterful piece of acting. It was like watching this cold curtain lower over his face, and he was once again the man with no name.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I loved Unforgiven for that very reason. It was like watching the man who walked away from that life, settled down, and grew old. Seeing the clumsiness and unease as he tried to force himself back into the gunslinger mold, and then seeing him slip easily into it, like an old pair of shoes, when his friend was killed was a masterful piece of acting. It was like watching this cold curtain lower over his face, and he was once again the man with no name.
:agreed: Definitely. I loved the last 30% of that movie, how it just showed him transform from this nice old guy who used to be a gunslinger/criminal, but had given up those ways... back into that guy. The part where he changes back was just excellent.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I have never actually finished watching this before since it's regularly a 3 hour movie, but if it's on AMC it then becomes like, 5 hours, and I don't have a free 5-hours on a regular day. So! I was in Wal-Mart today and what do I spy for $10 ON BLU-RAY?! This. So I bought it, made myself a pizza and watched it.

Really enjoyed it, and the ending was great. Only part I felt was a bit un-necessary was the part with the bridge.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:agreed: Definitely. I loved the last 30% of that movie, how it just showed him transform from this nice old guy who used to be a gunslinger/criminal, but had given up those ways... back into that guy. The part where he changes back was just excellent.
The first time you watch it, it is a bit tedious to sit through that first 70%. The bumbling around, the slow pace, and the frustrating lack of movement towards the goal made for a difficult watch. Then, when he starts taking tugs off the bottle of whiskey, while the frightened young wannabe recounts the events that led to that point, you just KNOW that the man with no name is about to come out of retirement. It is easily one of my favorite westerns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts