So, I'm in a situation where I have to choose between getting either the
ESP LTD EX-Avatar
or
B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST

What would you choose? I have to make my decision by tuesday! :eek:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I'd go with the mock. The Rockfield pickups aren't the greatest thing ever, but a step up from stock pickups. BC Rich (especially lately) have been building very solid imports and I think the Mock would out play the LTD hands down. Both have balance issues, not sure about the EX but this is easy to remedy on the Mock by moving a strap button and using a thick/wide strap.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I can also attest to the Mockingbird ST's quality from owning it, its actually a very decent guitar with a lot of neat tone options from all the filter switches, coil taps, etc. The neck carve is pretty similar to slim Gibson profile if you dig that and the balance is actually really good from my experience. The Rockfields also sound pretty decent from the get go :yesway:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Sorry, the LTD has EMG's not stock pickups.

LTD Avatar:
Set-Neck
24.75 in. Scale
Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
Grover Tuners
TOM Bridge
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active Pickups

BC Rich Mockingbird ST

CONSTRUCTION: Neck Through
BODY WOOD: Mahogany
TOP STYLE: Beveled
TOP WOOD: AAA quilted maple veneer
HEADSTOCK STYLE: 3-to-a-Side Traditional
HEADSTOCK COLOR: Natural Rosewood Faced
TUNERS: Grover Super Rotomatics
NECK WOOD: Maple
FRETBOARD: Ebony
INLAY: Diamond
FRETS: 24 jumbo
SCALE: 24 5/8
BRIDGE TYPE: Floyd Rose ® Original Series Tremolo
PICKUPS: Rockfield Mafia
CONTROLS: 2 volumes, 1 tone, 1 three-way toggle, individual mini switches for pickup coil tap and reverse phase, and one 5 position varitone tone filter. (All passive)
Black Hardware

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's right, but to me, the Mockingbird seems like it has much better specs, so how come it's cheaper?
Specs =/= cost.

Especially since various neck construction methods are not objectively better than others; set-neck and bolt-on (when done properly) are just as good as neckthru.

Also, BC Rich has been hitting aggressive price points to try to make their brand relevant again since they had a horrible reputation for years, and pricing in the same area as Schecter would make it hard to move product.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the mockingbird :)
Just seems weird given the prices of the guitars :spock:
Anyways, it seems I might be able to get an LTD PH-600 for the same price.
worth considering?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I just found out that the LTD EX-401 is excactly the same as the Avatar, except that it has quilted top and a floyd rose, yet it's cheaper.
Did they really add 500 bucks to the price just because it has a limited edition graphic? That's retarded.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Do you actually want a Floyd Rose? That's a pretty major part of choosing a guitar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's true, but probably wouldn't change PU's in the mockingbird, since the originals can be cpil-split and put out of phase.
Seriously, that guitar has, like, a fucking cockpit attached to it!

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
That's true, but probably wouldn't change PU's in the mockingbird, since the originals can be cpil-split and put out of phase.
Seriously, that guitar has, like, a fucking cockpit attached to it!
Well, you can't do it with EMG's but you Can have all that stuff wired with 4 wire Duncans, Dimarzios, etc. As long as the pickup comes with 4 wires, you're good. :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Yes you can. Any pickup that has 4 wires can be wired up to replace the stock pickups in the BC Rich, you just need to know how the colour codes compare on the wiring to make sure the right wire goes in the right place.

Personally I'd hunt out the EX-401 (or any recent 400 series LTD) over the BC Rich. The BC Rich is a good guitar, but the 400 series LTD's were so good they've discontinued almost all of them as no one was buying the more expensive 1000 series. It's just killed me to sell my Viper 401 to fund my house move, and I really think I'm going to have to hunt out another in the new year even though I almost exclusively play 7 strings.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts