Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've said it many times, Holy Wars is the best thrash song ever. I also threw it out there once in a poll, titled Do you know how to play Holy Wars?

At the time of this posting, that poll reads 29 Yes, 17 No and 19 Noodles. Now it's time to step up, gents.

One camera angle, one take, clams and all, no bullshit edits or fancy nonsense. Make a video and rip through this most sacred of thrash metal anthems. No need to be exact, just make your best one-shot pass at it and toss it on the 'Tube.

The most awesome (not necessarily the most accurate, or even the cleanest) rendition of the Mustaine Masterpiece will get an MG T-Shirt, and a cool badge under their username as long as we get at least half a dozen people manning up and rising to the challenge. :metal:

This is not a video creation contest! It doesn't matter how good your video is. Use your phone, a shitty camera, your laptop webcam, whatever. Play it on drums. Or bass. Or freakin' kazoo if you have to. Nobody here cares about fancy camera angles, video edits and perfect lighting. Just light it up with some thrash!

I'll update this post with new videos as they come up! :metal:

(I removed the embeds in this post so the page is less obnoxious to load.)
  • Here's mine, from two posts below this one… Video
  • Kostein can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Lyle can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Fred can play Holy Wars, Cassidy can play the leads: (Post) Video
  • Roger can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Cassidy can most certainly play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Nick can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Jeepy can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Bootsy's whole lineage can play Holy Wars (Post) Video
  • James can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video
  • Hulk can play Holy Wars: (Post) Video

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go first. :metal:

I'm not sure if Youtube will break this, and I guess I'll kind of be flattered if they do. :lol: One track from the Axe-Fx, over a super brickwalled export from iTunes. It's in HD. The first 10 seconds are a lot quieter than the rest (camcorder audio), so uh, turn your volume down. :lol:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
how the fuck does dave sing and play those rhythms.....

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
nice job chris. i may have to do one myself...
too bad this aint a Winger cover competition..... that i might have a chance at winning.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:facemelt: :metal:

How long do we have?

·
The Dude From The Mummy
7,878 Posts
I keep sitting down to learn this song, and I've never made it past the solo. Why? Because by that point, that song already has more killer riffs than most bands manage over a whole album, and I just end up jamming on that half of the song over and over again instead of learning the rest. :lol:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,661 Posts
I keep sitting down to learn this song, and I've never made it past the solo. Why? Because by that point, that song already has more killer riffs than most bands manage over a whole album, and I just end up jamming on that half of the song over and over again instead of learning the rest. :lol:
I do the same thing :lol:

That and I get frustrated when I can't play it very well, and I stop learning.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how the fuck does dave sing and play those rhythms.....
Dude, right? :lol: I say that every time anyone mentions this song. Not only is it a festival of amazing riffs, he sings all that oddly timed stuff over it live. Ridiculous. Mustaine's off his rocker but man he's one hell of a musician.

·
Super Moderator
8,321 Posts
Hmm, I have three days off starting on Wednesday. I'll relearn this and give it a crack.

As fucking awesome as that was, Chris, and it was absolutely fucking awesome, I'm gonna call you out for not playing to a bass, drum, and vocals only mix that I know you have! That's what I'll do it to, so all my fluffs are there for the world to hear!

There's a great play along mix available on YouTube. I'll find it and link to it.

Men who don't take part in this, can you really call yourselves men?

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, I have three days off starting on Wednesday. I'll relearn this and give it a crack.

As fucking awesome as that was, Chris, and it was absolutely fucking awesome, I'm gonna call you out for not playing to a bass, drum, and vocals only mix that I know you have! That's what I'll do it to, so all my fluffs are there for the world to hear!
Call me out all you want, that no-guitar track is easy to sync to a click, and I swear it's nowhere near as ferocious as the song. :lol: It's a lot harder without a metronome! I made sure my guitar mix was higher, so you can hear me fuck up the string-skipping part all 4 times. I wanted to nail it so bad at the very end and got record-itis like crazy and muffed the fuck out of it.

Men who don't take part in this, can you really call yourselves men?
:dillon:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
*does a shitload of awesome Holy Wars takes on day off

*nails one down, then posts a contest about it!

:rofl:

1 - 20 of 334 Posts