Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted a thread about writing something that I thought was my best work. Well, I've finally got some of it nailed down. I've been having a problem of too many ideas with this track. I can think of numerous variations of bits, and others being launchpads into something else. So it's become part one of some sort of two or three track idea. It's still not complete, and it's intended to have vocals, so it might seem a bit empty in parts.

I posted something else a while back saying I was really happy with the mixing and sounds of everything but the leads. I'm having the same problem still. I've tried various pre-amps and VSTs, but I think the culprit may be the pick-up. It's an Evo-7 in the bridge. Either that, or it's my speakers.

I use Alesis MK2s, but they're a lot closer together than they should be. Unfortunately I can't rectify that at the moment. The only way I can test mixes is to make an MP3 and put it on my phone, and the headphones for that are hardly a good second test.

So, how does the lead tone sound? All the rhythm tracks for my band's demo are finished now (with this rhythm sound), it's only leads I have to do. I'd be specifically interested in how harsh or thin the two solos sound to you (there's one near the beginning and one near the end).

Oh, the title of the song and thread are a naff, silly joke. I think it's the greatest thing I've written, so it's titled to make it seem like I'm arrogantly claiming it to be the best song ever. Of course I'm not and I appreciate it's not funny. I simply struggle with names for songs.

SoundClick artist: leecassidy - page with MP3 music downloads

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
That sounded great, reminded me a lot of blotted science but it still had it's own unique feel to it. The mix was really solid as well. That solo was also pretty badass! What did you use for the drums?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. I'm quite surprised by the Blotted Science comment. Someone said something about another track of mine having that sort of vibe. I'm not really much of a Ron J fan, really. I mean, I completely respect him and appreciate it's cool, I just don't find the music that compelling to listen to more than once or wtice. I love his brother's drumming, though.

The drums were done with The Metal Foundry for Superior 2.0. I've been changing kit parts around forever, but I'm finally pleased with the kit. Just a little more hi-hat and tom work and I'm pretty much ok with it.

So, not thin-sounding to you?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Not in the least, quite thick and full sounding. Maybe a little lacking in the mids, but thats more personal preference than anything actually wrong with the guitars. The solo tone sounded orgasmical as well.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
This is really good man :yesway:

The leads arent thin at all they fit really well imo

The only thing I have to say that the snare sound is too much of a BLAT in the mix but in a few places where there isnt much going on it sounds great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.