Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded this song about 2 years ago and posted a Soundclick version of it on sevenstring.org back then. I found it again and gave it a listen. As hilarious as ever, so I made a video for it and posted it on YouTube.

Cover of the Japanese pop singer, Ai Otsuka, and her song "Sakuranbo" (Cherries).

Since most of you have probably never heard the original, here it is:

It is the pinkest, happiest, cutest, most poppy song I have ever had. She has a friggin' pink Les Paul for god's sakes. :lol:

And here is my extreme metal/death metal cover:

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
Nice! I really like the brutal vocals!. I think you need some high vocals in the cleaner parts as well to make it more recognizable.

The original is annoying, for some reason it sounds like a crappy version of the Ranma 1/2 theme song to me.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I really like the brutal vocals!. I think you need some high vocals in the cleaner parts as well to make it more recognizable.
When I was trying to convince my band to do this song, the drummer said that I should sing the clean parts in the same way as the original song. The main reason I had slightly changed the melodies in the verses was because the original version was so insanely happy sounding that it wouldn't really fit with the dark creepy feel I was trying to create.

The original verse was just C major and G major. So I took two guitars playing different things, but with both basing the roots on C and G (power chords on one guitar and octaves on the other), but I put a ton of really evil sounding intervals inbetween, so I doubt the original vocal melody would fit there. :shrug:

I knew how to play the original solo too, but I didn't think it fit with the whole extreme metal thing, so I just randomly came up with something different. :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's an awesome cover man. Yeah it's not immediately recognizable but I mean....how could it ever be? It's not exactly a simple punk goes pop transfer. And the video killed man, from now on, I'm only letting people take pictures of me if I am drinking a giant glass jug of milk.

^^Soundtrack to my life. My apartment is actually a giant star platform sitting out in the middle of the ocean. I, however, am missing the one-piece jumpsuit made of extra wide seat belts and 6 inch platforms. Fail. :noway:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's an awesome cover man. Yeah it's not immediately recognizable but I mean....how could it ever be? It's not exactly a simple punk goes pop transfer. And the video killed man, from now on, I'm only letting people take pictures of me if I am drinking a giant glass jug of milk.
:lol: When most people put up videos with just pics, they try to put up the coolest pics of the band or artist they can find. I did the opposite and tried to find the silliest and most awkward pics I could find. Luckily good old Ai has a lot of pics with her sticking her tongue out. :lol: I eventually ran out of silly pics and had to throw some normal ones in there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
had to throw some normal ones in there.
^^We're getting pretty liberal with that adjective lol.

Publicity photos have always baffled me. I used to sound out electronic press kits for movies and sometimes they include photos that could only have been found by google image searching the word "asshole"

EDIT: with moderate safe search ON for the love of god.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
^^We're getting pretty liberal with that adjective lol.

Publicity photos have always baffled me. I used to sound out electronic press kits for movies and sometimes they include photos that could only have been found by google image searching the word "asshole"

EDIT: with moderate safe search ON for the love of god.
Unfortunate syntax is unfortunate? :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fucking love that song, no lie. I'm listening to his "Best of" album right now :lol:
T.M. Revolution was one of the most embarassing artists in Japan, but he did have a few cool songs. Of course, then you'd see him performing it and he looked like a psychopathic crossdressing circus freak. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts