Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well since the old 80s Peavey amp isn't happening Ill just say screw it and buy something new.

Im not in a band and dont gig but I do want something I can record with.

Here is the criteria

TUBE - gots to have a real tube doing the tone works

1 x 12" Speaker - no matter what the amp comes with it will probably be getting a 12" Celestion installed

PC connectivity - have to be able to run directly into a PC for recording

Under that criteria what amp would you choose for recording standard tune hard rock / Metal ?

The reason for 1x12" speaker is to keep the size down. I need something compact but still be able to deliver quality tone.

Price...keeping things under a thousand would be nice

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
There's almost nothing that's real tube that you can connect directly for recording that doesn't sound like garbage when you do it, without other hardware anyways.
^ This. Limited experience here.

I tried pulling from my 6505MH with shit results. It wasn't until I bought an interface and mic'd the cab that I got something I could listen to.

I know there are other ways of bringing signal into your DAW, (cabclone, etc) but I don't know anything about them.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
There's almost nothing that's real tube that you can connect directly for recording that doesn't sound like garbage when you do it, without other hardware anyways.
FX Loop > Impulse Response aint bad.

I guess a reactive load between to get the poweramp section might be preferred, but FX Loop to IR is still a pretty good way.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
^ This. Limited experience here.

I tried pulling from my 6505MH with shit results. It wasn't until I bought an interface and mic'd the cab that I got something I could listen to.

I know there are other ways of bringing signal into your DAW, (cabclone, etc) but I don't know anything about them.
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Just get a proper reactive load instead!
I haven't tried any in first hand but if I ever get a load to use with IRs, my understanding is that reactive load is THE way to go.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
1x12? Under a grand, the Peavey 5150 combo listed above. At/over $1000, the Rectoverb 25.

Ola's video is for the head, but it's the same idea.

Forget PC connectivity. Run the loop out to a 1/4" input and run IRs on it. Or invest in a IR loader/hotplate like the Two Notes Torpedo. Vastly superior to anything with PC connectivity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The direct connection requirement is going to rule out a bunch of good choices and most direct outs are not very good sounding because the manufacturer slaps a lame cab sim on them that does not compare to modern IRs. You probably need to rethink that.

Tons of cool mini heads (or even used full sized heads) that would go well with a nice 1x12... As others have noted look for an FX loop and run to a power amp sim and IR.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
I bought my 6505 112 combo gently used for $400 smackers, upgraded the first and fifth preamp tubes to tong-sols, and the shitty chinese 'scheffield copy' for a George Lynch superV12 and it rips. so I have a whopping $525 into it.

For recording just mic it and be done.

the better option would be the 5150iii combo because you can get the wattage lower and record at a lower volume, but where is the fun in that.

Here's a used one for $700
Used EVH 5150 III 50W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Guitar Center

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure how the master is on the 6505 combo but a 60W tube amp, even a 1x12, is going to be insanely loud most of the time for home use. For recording you may be better off with something with a built-in attenuator or load; generally IRs are a lot easier/better than micing unless you have a really good set of mics and home studio setup.

Are you dead set on a combo? You say you are using it at home, recording, and space is important... It seems like the 6505mh and a 1x12 would be a much better choice for your target use to me... It has gotten a lot of positive feedback here and ticks all your boxes. (ex: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...8843-buy-5150-dont-post992369.html#post992369)

There's also the 5153LBX, Root Terror, Mesa Minis, Jet City 22, Laney Ironhearts, Randal RD*, etc most of those have a half power setting and or FX Loops sends or Line outs you could use for recording.

Of course 6505s of all stripes are generally cool just throwing some ideas/options out there for you to chew on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Not sure how the master is on the 6505 combo but a 60W tube amp, even a 1x12, is going to be insanely loud most of the time for home use. For recording you may be better off with something with a built-in attenuator or load; generally IRs are a lot easier/better than micing unless you have a really good set of mics and home studio setup.

Are you dead set on a combo? You say you are using it at home, recording, and space is important... It seems like the 6505mh and a 1x12 would be a much better choice for your target use to me... It has gotten a lot of positive feedback here and ticks all your boxes. (ex: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...8843-buy-5150-dont-post992369.html#post992369)

There's also the 5153LBX, Root Terror, Mesa Minis, Jet City 22, Laney Ironhearts, Randal RD*, etc most of those have a half power setting and or FX Loops sends or Line outs you could use for recording.

Of course 6505s of all stripes are generally cool just throwing some ideas/options out there for you to chew on.
OK check this deal out

(ever heard one of these? seems cheap)

Peavey 6505 Piranha 20W Tube Hybrid Guitar Amp Head Black | Guitar Center

with
Peavey 112-6 25W 1x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet | Musician's Friend

ETA

Oh (I know this is controversial) but I heard a Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 100W 1x12 Guitar Modeling Combo Amp | Guitar Center

this week and that damn thing sounded pretty mean. It actually sounded better than some tube amps I've heard through the years

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well since the consensus is that direct PC connection sounds shitty I could mic the amp.

Does that open up a world of new options?

Right now this is what I have my heart set on Peavey 6505+ 112 60W 1x12" Tube Combo Guitar Amp Black | Guitar Center
Yes.

If you want 1x12, compact, and awesome-sounding, that probably means Mesa.

Used, I'd look for some form of Mark, a F-30, DC-3, on the off chance you can find one a Rectoverb 25 or Mark V 35, or possibly a Nomad-45 (some people hate them, I liked mine). New, Rectoverb 25, Mark V 35, though that'll push you over a grand. One of these, a SM57, and a budget interface would give you at least the *potential* to get a really good recorded tone, provided you're willing to take the time to learn to mic up the amp and dial it in right to sit in a mix.

Outside of that, on the cheap a Tech-21 Trademark 30 is a surprisingly good sounding small, light, compact amp. Solid state, but it sounds good enough that I wouldn't lose much sleep over that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes.

If you want 1x12, compact, and awesome-sounding, that probably means Mesa.

Used, I'd look for some form of Mark, a F-30, DC-3, on the off chance you can find one a Rectoverb 25 or Mark V 35, or possibly a Nomad-45 (some people hate them, I liked mine). New, Rectoverb 25, Mark V 35, though that'll push you over a grand. One of these, a SM57, and a budget interface would give you at least the *potential* to get a really good recorded tone, provided you're willing to take the time to learn to mic up the amp and dial it in right to sit in a mix.

Outside of that, on the cheap a Tech-21 Trademark 30 is a surprisingly good sounding small, light, compact amp. Solid state, but it sounds good enough that I wouldn't lose much sleep over that.
Ok that Tech 21 Trademark 30 (never heard of it) get rave reviews. You guys are killing me. So much tonal awesomeness

1 - 20 of 21 Posts