Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else enter?

Now that the deadline has passed, i thought it'd be fun to show people what i sent in.

The approach i took is that it's a "commemorative" guitar that should somehow reflect Steve's passions, interests and aesthetic, and should give Ibanez an opportunity to try something really "out there"... i took the DNA, the 20th Anniversary clear acrylic JEM and "mirror" JEM as the kind of thing i wanted to propose, rather than just a JEM with fancy woods and/or different paint or graphic treatment.

So here it is... my JEM77LHN (liquid honey):

It would be a hollow acrylic body with floating yellow goo inside, an ebony/yellowheart "melted" fretboard, with worker bee inlays and a queen bee inlay at the 12th fret. All the hardware would be combinations of black and gold.

I wanted to pay tribute to Steve's interest in beekeeping. :)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
How did I miss that contest? So what was the idea Darren, are they actually going to make a limited run of the winning design, or just show off some cool pics that'll never happen?

Your design looks absolutely cool as fuck :metal: The downside though is I'm sure Ibanez would never make the body hollow acrylic filled with liquid, but even a traditional wooden body with a graphic like that would be very cool.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometime this summer, the 77,777th JEM will be sold, so they wanted to run a contest for someone to come up with a unique and creative commemorative guitar. Two will be made... one for Steve and one for the winner.

Anniversary with Steve Vai

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Ah, so in that case maybe your cool acrylic body could be in with a chance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think the coolest thing about that is the combo gold and black hardware. To this day I don't know why you don't see more combination hardware on guitars because it looks soooo cool. You do, on the other hand, see black/nickel black/gold, chrome/gold etc. on lots of other metal parts on non guitars, so it's weird that it's never translated. I've wanted to order one each and swap the parts just for kicks. But you should consider that for the Decibel line.

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
When I heard about this contest,the bee idea immediately popped in my head. Mine had the body of wood all "honeycombed" out with bees and honey randomly placed about the body. Unfortunately my imagination far exceeds my abilities as an artist and the idea never came to fruition.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I swear, Hammett looks more and more metrosexual every time I see him.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
That's a realy cool oncept Darren. Hard to say what the competition will be like. I'm sure if Steve is checking out the designs it will at least get an honorable mention.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
i never heard about the contest :(

Great Idea Darren - you should have went a step further and made the liquid something that wouldnt combine and would look like a moving swirl (like 3 different liquids/colors)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Darren, when will you find out the results? And do you know if the entries are posted anywhere online? Based on what I've seen people enter (albeit very few) yours is the clear away best. (And it doesn't hurt that you made it look like it came out of a catalog!)

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I'd buy that just out of principal. That's possibly the most awesome guitar Ibanez have never made. Possibly one of the most awesome guitars I've seen. Build one nao.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.