Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm doing a bunch of shit to my favorite axe, I figure I'll do some before/after/durings. I've had this since I was young enough to think that putting a BFGoodrich sticker on it was a good idea. :lol:

Here she is now, a bit (understatement...) dusty since I haven't played it in a while because I've been out west.

Plans:

- Lace Sensors all around, blue/gold in the bridge (thanks Nate!) and golds in the middle and neck.
- 5-Way switch
- Chrome Sperzel locking tuners
- Fender LSR roller nut
- Chrome OFR (maybe - depends on how the Schaller holds up)
- Stripping the clearcoat off the neck and going w/Tung Oil, Donnie Style
- 500k Pots
- Complete rewire

It's an awesome sounding guitar right now, but 20 year old wires + 20 year old pickups = lots of hum. Plus, it just needs a little love. :)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Good times! I'm sure it plays super fast with the BFGoodrich sticker on it :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stickers looks terrible, take it off!
:lol: Hell no. I put that sticker on when I was maybe 16 or 17 years old, and I'm 34 now. Not only is it well into the clearcoat, it's a relic from my youth! :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And it begins! It's not really that dirty, I threw some guitar polish on it, let it sit, ate dinner, and said "you know, fuck it, I'll just start tearing it down and then clean it up later". :lol: So most of the nasty shit you see is half-wiped polish, not JJ-style filth. :jj:

Anyway: Adios, ancient pickups. :wub: I don't have the heart to throw them away, but they've just had enough.

The tuners have been on there since I got this guitar as a reward for making Honor Roll when I was in (I believe) 7th grade. (I'm 35..) My Sperzels will be here tomorrow, so it's time for them to come off. That is some OLD dirt.

And gutted. All of that will be covered with shielding this week. :yesway:

Back of the headstock. Pretty new wood under there!

Alrighty, time to get down to business. I don't have all (any, really) of the crap I ordered yet other than what's in this update, so the first thing to do is to give this guy a test-fit. :yesway: I'm going to replace all of the screws on the entire guitar (all of them are rusted and mismatched by now), so mostly this is just an exercise in putting things back together so that I don't misplace small bits. Here's the LS that I got from (Thanks again!) Nate.

Two shiny new pots, and a shiny new 3-way from Jaxadam. :wub: All I ever really use is the neck pickup on this guy anyway, so I don't want to bother with a 5-way. They'll need to come back out when I do the cavity, but they fit perfectly and look much nicer than the ancient pots that were in there. The ones that came out were both 500s, so for now that's what I'm replacing them with, and I figure they're easy enough to swap out if I decide to go lower.

And the fit:

Now that the business of the electronics is done for now, time to give this a quick scrub.

Here's the neck joint. It's not really cracked all that badly, mostly it's just stresses in the clearcoat on the neck - it looks a LOT worse in this pic than it actually is. However, it is an old as hell neck, and I'm super sentimental about this guitar.

Which leads me to scrap my idea of the roller nut. The reasoning here is two-fold. First, before I even test-fit it, I thought "You know, it's pretty fucking cool that I'm 35 years old and I'm playing a guitar with a bridge that I saved up my paper route money as a kid to replace". I owned this about 3 years before paying Daddy's a fuckload for this bridge/nut, and now that I look at it, I think I'd be kind of sad to see it go.

That aside, I decided to check the Fender nut, just for kicks, and this is how it lines up with the Schaller.

Since I really don't want to have to shim the ever living fuck out of it, I think the Schaller nut is going to stay. I don't lock it anyway, and it's cool nostalgia value. :yesway: I'll probably put it on the Brian Moore if it fits, and at a glance it looks like it will. :yesway:

Still lots to do, but I'm out of parts, so back in the case for now. :metal:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Looks like it's cleaning up nicely! I love refinishing old Ibby's.

And P.S. I'd leave the Schaller nut.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
This thread is full of win, makes me wanna get on ebay and find an old ibanez

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
:yesway:

and yes, the BFGoodrich sticker looks good because it's not glaring, it's on there in stealth mode. Ninja mode, even.

And everyone knows ninjas are awesome :ninja:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Dude. You have got to be kidding me.

I had the same EXACT crack on the neck of my EX, right through the nut bolt. I had it in a gig bag one day when I was 14 and set it down too hard in the trunk of my mom's sedan. When I took it out later that night the neck had a crack in it. I had a tech glue it back together, but after a year or so I heard a loud bang from the closet where I kept it and the glue had come apart and the neck re-cracked. That's why mine has that bitchin' Jackson neck on it right now.

Seriously, we're like aligned with the planets or something.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I dig the BFG sticker, too.
I actually do too - it's random, but kind of cool.

I'm, sigh, looking forward to setting this up. No, really.

BTW, I wouldn't strip the clear on the neck and tung oil it. Not only do you not want to fuck with it much at all if it has a crack in the neck, but the clear acts as a sealer that keeps the wood from expanding and contracting as much during weather changes, so your setup will be a little less stable if you do strip it, and you know how much you hate driving down to my place. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Drew is clearly trying to avoid doing more setups, tung it :lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts