Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm an owner of a rivera knucklehead reverb and I've been having a very long love\hate relationship with the amp.

I started thinking lately about buying an eq pedal and trying to shape it's tone to my liking, and just wondered -

Will an eq pedal in the loop have a truely great impact on my tone?
I like the basic tone of the rivera but I feel I want to take out some highs and emphasise a specific spot in the midrange, I think I've been trying to get a bogner vibe from it for a long time now, I really like the bogner signature midrange response and want to get abit close to that.

* Will an eq pedal provide more low end? I've read that somewhere although it bdoesnt makes sense to me.

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to sell\trade the rivera for a bogner, mainly because I live in israel, so I'm trying the other way around.

Your thoughts?

·
18,790 Posts
Adding an EQ to the loop does give you more flexibility and control, though I'm not sure it'll ever make it sound quite like a Bogner, and definitely won't do much for the feel (not much positive anyways :lol: ). That said, the local guy with probably the best tone around runs a JSX with a cheap graphic EQ in the loop that he tweaks at each show to get his tone working in the room.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i would experiment with different speakers, pickups and tubes first.

i've never gotten anything i've liked out of an eq pedal.

for me personally, if an amp can't stand on it's own, it's gotta go. i played that game for far too long.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any more opinions?

And I read and look at each of your suggestions, I just want more thoughts about this.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
GEQ pedals can do crazy things. it really helps those maps that just don't have enough of something, or maybe too much. i use mine to add some mids that my mid knob can't reach (and i like), and to take out some fizzy hissy high frequencies. The result is pretty drastic if i take the eq out of the loop...actually, it sounds like shit without it, but I've learned to dial in my tone with the GEQ there, so it's just kind of always on.

The MXR 10 band EQ kicks a lot of ass, and usually only costs about $100 used. It's pretty quiet as far as pedals go, unless you push the gain (is has a gain slider, but I don't know why you'd need it.)

I think it's a good plan, but do whatever you think sounds best.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I've never really been happy with a graphic EQ, but a parametric EQ can do wonders for a guitar sound. With my old rig I swore by an ART 1/2 rack parametric.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I've never really been happy with a graphic EQ, but a parametric EQ can do wonders for a guitar sound. With my old rig I swore by an ART 1/2 rack parametric.
I agree with this statement more than 100%. I used to use a 6 band stereo parametric EQ, and people were dying to know my secret. It really makes a big difference.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I've had a cheap EQ pedal in the loop for years with both SS amps and tube amps. I find it's an easy and inexpensive way to further shape your tone (or tame the volume or compress the overall sound) but it won't change your amp "color" at all.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I agree with this statement more than 100%. I used to use a 6 band stereo parametric EQ, and people were dying to know my secret. It really makes a big difference.
Was gonna say the same thing. Para EQ > Graphic EQ in this case.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
With guitar, it's para EQ > graphic EQ from what I've heard

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I meant ">" in the sense that using a para EQ is better than using a graphic EQ. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just snagged a mxr 10 band eq after trying it through my rig.

I took the 8 and 16 khz frequencies down to -6, took the 250 khz frequency to
-6 and boosted the 125khz to +6.

Played through an orange 2X12 cab, similar to my 1X12 cab at home.

This easily got me that sweet warm midrange response that I was looking for,
very bognerish to my ears.

I couldn't believe how good the amp sounded with the pedal, turned the pedal off and I was shocked from the difference.

I'm pretty happy for now, gonna explore this pedal alot.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
What I always found with any amp I use with an EQ pedal is that I do some super-drastic EQing (like a straight V boost-cut-boost) and I like how it sounds, but over time all the sliders tend to move back towards the middle...first the mids come back, then the treble comes down, It always ends up that I use the EQ pedal for a slight bass boost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts