Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, when I'm driving to work and flipping through random XM stations, I'll have recurring thoughts about what comes on the radio. I'm sure other people do as well, so let's come up with a totally non-objective, not at all opinionated (because we never do that) list of musical mysteries.

I'll start it off with a few of my own.

• How the fuck is Radiohead successful? Who actually enjoys listening to that shit?
  • Why can't Reb Beach get himself a high paying, high profile gig? I know he had that stint with Alice Cooper, but the poor guy's career is tragically underwhelming.
  • Where did all of these Breaking Benjamin clones come from? Didn't that trend die like 5 years ago?
  • Seriously, why do people like Radiohead?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Radiohead is terrible but U2 are worse.....

I had xm for a while and ended up cancelling it. I basically only listened to 3 stations and their metal station was kind of shitty.

I can no longer listen to the radio at all - all commercials or songs that are old. Any new stuff is pretty bad ...

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I've asked this in a thread before, and got good answers, but it still is a mystery to me:

• Why Trans-Siberian Orchestra has enjoyed a great deal of mainstream popularity, but power metal and other symphonic metal hasn't for the most part (other than Guitar Hero making Dragonforce somewhat well-known)?

Also:
  • Why isn't Randy Jackson from Zebra more famous?

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm with you, Rick. I haven't been able to listen to the radio for over a decade now. When I stopped listening to it, my main problem was that they would play the same songs over and over and over and over and over again. I remember one time specifically around 12-13 years ago when I flipped to four different stations and they were all playing the same exact song (which I didn't want to listen to). It was like the radio stations had banded together so that listeners couldn't avoid hearing the song.

Yeah, I am no fan of radio.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Radiohead is terrible but U2 are worse.....

I had xm for a while and ended up cancelling it. I basically only listened to 3 stations and their metal station was kind of shitty.

I can no longer listen to the radio at all - all commercials or songs that are old. Any new stuff is pretty bad ...
But it's not an issue of whether something is terrible or not. There are a lot of things that are terrible, and yet I completely understand why a ton of people like it so much. I can't really do that with Radiohead, except for with old songs that aren't really what they sound like anymore.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
The only time I ever listen to the radio is if the football is on and I'm driving somewhere, in this country there is nothing but dross on the radio, I'd be happy if there was a station that played something like radiohead.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I can't remember the last time I listened to FM radio in the car. I'm not even sure we have a rock station in New York anymore.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
My musical WTF mystery:

Why in the hell is Janick Gers still a member of Maiden?

·
18,790 Posts
Why do people actually like Abba?
Why is the Mama Mia musical so successful?
Seriously, "Dancing Queen"? Fuck off.

Also, who let "Rumour Has It" be a single, when it's a terrible song, and Adele has much better songs, and why the fuck is it so fucking successful?

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
How the fuck is Radiohead successful? Who actually enjoys listening to that shit?
I sometimes enjoy listening to Radiohead. There's something to their approach to melody, paired with that intense vocal and instrumental delivery, that can be very satisfying - though sometimes that intensity goes to a level where it gets uncomfortable for me to listen to. Skipping songs tends to be an uncharitable thing to do to music, but Radiohead is a special case for me where that's not always so.

Another thing that makes them interesting is their willingness evolve and utilize a broad palette of sounds, sort of like NIN. You can pick up two different records from two different eras and they will sound nothing alike in terms of instrumentation. That's in stark contrast to a lot of metal and rock bands that employ more or less the same, constant setup throughout their entire careers.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Radiohead and Coldplay had this thing going in the late 90s/early 00s where I'm pretty sure they were really popular bands because they struck this middle ground between pop and rock where there were just not that many people who disliked them. I liked "Creep" and "Fake Plastic Trees," but that's about as far as it went for me. :shrug:

Of course, "a band that very few people dislike" is kind of the same as saying "generic," isn't it? I don't think that's ENTIRELY fair to Radiohead, but it's also not far off.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
For me? The fucking Eagles. Why??

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Why does "modern rock" today sound exactly the way it did fourteen years ago when I entered high school?

·
Nope
3,563 Posts
Why isn't Baroness selling out arenas and theaters yet?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Why does "modern rock" today sound exactly the way it did fourteen years ago when I entered high school?
I actually have a theory about that Josh. I've attached a crude drawing I made to demonstrate it. Basically, trends are mostly cyclically in their inception. They come, are popular, go dormant, and are then revisited as retro or vintage. This is spurred along by media and communication, and bumps along with little milestones (the vertical dashes in the diagram) when something truly new or innovative happens. As media/communication have increased their capabilities and presence in society, these trend cycles have gotten smaller. At this point, media/communication and its information is such a dominant force in our society that the trend cycle has just devolved. In some ways, such as with the music you mention, it's recursive; as soon as something starts to go away it's already time to revisit it. In other areas, it's a total chaotic craps-shoot.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Not only that, but why is every other genre represented in the Top 40 inexorably starting to sound this way too? Modern country is the worst offender as it's now just cock-rock power ballads with the sex, drugs and rock n' roll lyrics swapped out for ones about pick-up trucks. But even hip hop and Taylor Swift bubblegum pop stuff are starting to sound more and more like 90s alt rock.

Why isn't Baroness selling out arenas and theaters yet?
/thread

1 - 20 of 55 Posts