Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Coming Alive' is seriously awesome. I mean, seriously.

You get -

1. Disc 1 - 3 hour documentary on the band from the recording of their latest album 'The Infection', up to their recent tours promoting it.
2. 1 hour 'Making of' for their previous album 'Resurrection.' Plus a full concert DVD of their Chimaira Christmas for 2009.
3. Audio CD of the Chimaira Christmas recording.

So, bang for the buck. But where this shines is in the filming and production. Todd Bell, the director, is a genius. People interested in film, camera work, or good quality music productions, owe it to themselves to check this out. People have been raving about the quality; it frankly blows away every metal DVD made. The cinematography is just superb, nonpareil.

Seriously. :yesway: And I'm not even a huge Chimaira fan or anything. I can name maybe 3 or 4 songs off the top of my head. But this DVD is great.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I love the documentarys they make, simply awesome. I remember watching the one for "Resurrection", watching Morgoth at the bowling alley was downright hilarious!

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3-hour documentary and the concert film are t he price of admission, folks. Just amazing lokking. And it's a really interesting, well-told story.

I dunno. I'm a total sucker for the whole behind-the-scenes, making of, touring documentary videos. The Lamb of God DVDs, the Killswitch Engage DVD, all of those type of things, just love them. The days of the old (funny, yet) horribly produced, VHS-looking, non-stop bullshit Dimevision Pantera vids is long gone. These guys raised the bar on this set.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
I dunno. I'm a total sucker for the whole behind-the-scenes, making of, touring documentary videos.
:agreed:

I have it, I just haven't watched it yet. But it is ripped on my computer. :lol:

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Admittedly I was hesitant to check out Chimaira at first, because I assumed they were "Just another Road Runner" type band.
I ended up picking up their last two albums and was completely fucking blown away.
It was just incredible to hear a band that sounded genuinely modern and that was actually paving the way for the future of metal, rather than just another one of those bland retrothrash bands *cough Trivium cough*
The musicianship is amazing and the grooves are stellar.
I'm still reluctant to check out their first album, as even the band hates it.
They're as true as modern metal gets and picking up the DVD last week only further confirmed what an explosive and powerful band they are.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't like this band but i do like studio footage for just about any genre/band. I even watched the metallica ones. might be worth picking up.
Yeah, exactly. Same here. These guys have grown on me, and the new disc is the best stuff they've done yet, but I wouldn't even say I'm a fan.

However, I feel the same way. The studio/touring stuff is just so interesting to watch. And trust me, this one, from a quality perspective, is on a whole different level.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, not surprised :lol:
The band would rather think that album doesn't exist, and apparently it sounds nothing like anything they do now.
Apparently more of a nu-metal thing, whereas now it's pretty much just straight ahead metal.
:agreed:

I saw this the other day for the first time. From like around 2000 or so. The old farmclub.com show. :lol:

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.