Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Absolutely. Bought it after work....$11.88 at Best Buy for the Deluxe edition, came with a guitar pick, a patch, some buttons and 3 live bonus tunes. Not a bad fuckin' deal at all!

I can't remember the last time I bought an album on the release day, but I want to do everything I can to support these guys!

The more these songs are sinking in, the better they are. This is a REALLY fucking great CD.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I'll have to wait a year or so to see where this will rank in my list.

Way too much of a honeymoon period right now with the band sounding like this and just hearing music like this under that name. I'm loving the fuck out of this new album and definitely feel a lot of these songs hold their own with the older Ryche stuff.

The mastering, though.....this is the first time I've really been annoyed by an album that's played part of the volume war. (It's not really a war, it's just...hey...this is fucking slammed). It doesn't sound bad at all on my home stereo system but in my car it doesn't really matter where my volume knob is because it sounds like it's cranking when barely audible. Really wish you could hear more dynamics in this album.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mastering, though.....this is the first time I've really been annoyed by an album that's played part of the volume war. (It's not really a war, it's just...hey...this is fucking slammed). It doesn't sound bad at all on my home stereo system but in my car it doesn't really matter where my volume knob is because it sounds like it's cranking when barely audible. Really wish you could hear more dynamics in this album.
Completely agree. In fact, QR 2013 is the first CD I can recall where I hear audible digital clipping all over the place on my car stereo. It's not just the brickwall effect. It goes far beyond that.

Even the new Sabbath album doesn't have that kind of clipping that I could hear, and it's brickwalled to death.

With QR, the brickwalling is even more of a shame because of the obvious depth and texture of the recording, whereas with the new Sabbath you don't expect huge dynamics.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Yeah, the clipping is bad in my car, but only noticeable in spots on my home stereo, not sure how that works, but there's a definite quality difference between the two.

As dynamic as these songs are in spots, it's really a shame it'll go unnoticed. Guess we'll have to wait for live versions to hear some of that.

Still, with each listen, there's a new part or section that I'm digging more and more.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
How is Wilton's lead work? Did he contribute much to the writing?
He wrote almost all of the leads except Where Dreams Go To Die (Parker wrote most of this song) and Don't Look Back. According to the writing credits, Whip contributed to WDGTD, Redemption, Vindication, A World Without, Don't Look Back, and Open Road.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love the songs on the album but there is constant clipping.

How much you notice the high frequency distortion depends on the high end response of whatever system you're listening on. In my car it's not so bad.

However, I can't even listen to the album on my home studio monitors because it's just a constant buzz of distortion. Even the live tracks at the end have it. Sigh.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I love the songs on the album but there is constant clipping.

How much you notice the high frequency distortion depends on the high end response of whatever system you're listening on. In my car it's not so bad.

However, I can't even listen to the album on my home studio monitors because it's just a constant buzz of distortion. Even the live tracks at the end have it. Sigh.
Total opposite for me, but I'm not listening on studio monitors. I've got a pair of Bose 6.2's which they sold for a long time. I only hear the clipping here and there with them....in my car it's nonstop.

So the real Ryche played the cd release show last night in Seattle.....and outside the venue Jason Slater and Jason Ames (Slater wrote pretty much the entire last several Ryche records and Ames has been playing/writing with Tate/Ryche for years as well) were handing out flyers for Geoff's Ryche show this saturday.

I've never even seen local bands who had bitter splits do shit like that. Outfuckingstanding, camp Tate! :noplease:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've haven't heard the clipping yet at home, but I've only listened to the album once at home and not at high volume. The clipping is awful in the car, and that just has a stock, crappy system.

I doubt Jason Slater was flyering the show, since he lives in San Francisco, but multiple attendees said it was getting flyered by Jason Ames--Tate's wife's ex-husband, who also plays in Geoff's solo band. How fucking weird must that family dynamic be? :lol:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I doubt Jason Slater was flyering the show, since he lives in San Francisco, but multiple attendees said it was getting flyered by Jason Ames--Tate's wife's ex-husband, who also plays in Geoff's solo band. How fucking weird must that family dynamic be? :lol:
Seems to be correct, the first reports I read were that both were there.

I guess Todd came out to shake some hands, saw the flyer and said, "Ya need to tear that shit in half."

No doubt Susan Tate sent Ames down there. I'm assuming it was more trolling than promoting, as well as seeing what kind of turn out the band had for the home show.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I'm only one listen in.

I wouldn't call it a return to form. It's the first Queensryche album I like since promised land but of the albums I like this one ranks last.

I was hoping for something different, more of a return to the old Queensryche I love. There are cool bits on the new album but there are things I don't like. The brickwall mentioned earlier makes it difficult to listen to. There are elements spread throughout the album that sound like they belong (left) in the dark modern Queensryche era that I don't like.

Todd La Torre's vocals are awesome and I really hope this band gets the name. But I'm not a fan of the lyrics or the style in which they are sung on this album and I'm not talking about Todd's vocals but the way the songs have been written. I don't know who was responsible for that part of the writing process.

It will probably get listened to a few more times but my initial impression is it will most likely not get a lot of play time because if I'm in the mood for Queensryche I'm more likely to listen to their early stuff.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
It's been getting nonstop play from me still.

I'm really glad they didn't go back to sounding like they did in the 80's, as much as I love those albums/songs, when the 3 live tracks pop up on the CD, they sound dated as all hell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.