Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Looks very nice. What's the pricing and spec supposed to be? In line with the previous minis?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
there are only two options now the computer version for $699 that has a CD drive and then the server version for $999 with dual HDD and no CD drive.

i think its 2.4 GHz and slightly better graphics and upgradable to 8GB ram

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
mac mini server STILL only has one ethernet port :spock:

They need to put the USB-to-Ethernet adapter on the CTO list.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
It looks terrific, and I am glad they added the HDMI port. The addition of the HDMI port makes the product more complete and it puts it in its' perfect niche.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Damn, that little thing is a computer? :lol:

That's badass!

·
18,790 Posts
HDMI: :yesway:
Still no Blu-Ray: :noway:

Otherwise the absolute perfect HTPC. :(
Ah yeah, I didn't notice that.

I was mildly surprised that Blu-Ray wasn't an option on the iMacs when I was shopping for mine, but I wasn't really concerned as it wasn't a selling point for me. I get the feeling Apple's stance on it is that they're pushing hi-def downloads through iTunes as the real next format and don't want to admit defeat to Blu-Ray.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ah yeah, I didn't notice that.

I was mildly surprised that Blu-Ray wasn't an option on the iMacs when I was shopping for mine, but I wasn't really concerned as it wasn't a selling point for me. I get the feeling Apple's stance on it is that they're pushing hi-def downloads through iTunes as the real next format and don't want to admit defeat to Blu-Ray.
It's just a bummer that iTunes' desire to dominate Netflix's market share is making their product R&D suffer.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
mac mini server STILL only has one ethernet port :spock:

They need to put the USB-to-Ethernet adapter on the CTO list.
I guess, but all it takes is adding it to your cart before you check out.

I love the Mac Minis for random little jobs, but $699? I dont see the $200 premium over the previous Mac Mini being worth it.
$100 premium, for double to drive size, better graphics, faster processor, better case design.

HDMI: :yesway:
Still no Blu-Ray: :noway:

Otherwise the absolute perfect HTPC. :(
That's what a PS3 or $75 standalone is for :yesway:

I already have a BR player, it would be redundant on a media PC, and I wouldn't want to use a computer to watch disk-based movies anyway. Just MHO.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
$100 premium, for double to drive size, better graphics, faster processor, better case design.
I paid $499 for each of the 3 Mac Minis I bought last year. Which are 2.26Ghz and 160GB drives w/ 4GB of RAM.

I just dont see the $200 premium for it. I suppose if you need the bigger drives and the HDMI output, but mine work just fine without them.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I already have a BR player, it would be redundant on a media PC, and I wouldn't want to use a computer to watch disk-based movies anyway. Just MHO.
Well, I have a PS3 for just that reason, but out of curiosity why wouldn't you want to just use a Mini? That's assuming that it's used just as an HTPC, which is what I do with mine.

I'm also on the fence.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I paid $499 for each of the 3 Mac Minis I bought last year. Which are 2.26Ghz and 160GB drives w/ 4GB of RAM.

I just dont see the $200 premium for it. I suppose if you need the bigger drives and the HDMI output, but mine work just fine without them.
How did you get the Mac Mini for $499 out the door, when that's a $100 upgrade for 4GB? Also, the higher clock speed, plus newer chip design, plus way better graphics, plus onboard HDMI and bigger drive to me is worth it. When I'm using it as a DVR, I like having a bigger drive than 160GB.

Well, I have a PS3 for just that reason, but out of curiosity why wouldn't you want to just use a Mini? That's assuming that it's used just as an HTPC, which is what I do with mine.

I'm also on the fence.
I don't use the box I have set up now as a DVD player. I wouldn't start to even if I had a Mini with Blu Ray. I prefer the PS3 for that. I use the media PC for DVR stuff, Hulu Desktop, Youtube, web browsing, iTunes, etc. Just my opinion. I am not saying I'm against a Blu Ray option, per se. I just would never want to pay a premium for it, that's all.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
One day I'll break and buy one of these for an HTPC. It really is the perfect solution now :agreed:

Currently I am streaming files from my iMac to my Xbox and it is working quite well. I just wish the Xbox had hulu.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well, I just bought it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts