Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have here a nice LTD MH-1000 deluxe before they got super gaudy (in black). EMG's, C standard, a pretty nice guitar.

I've played it maybe 3 times in the last month or two? :(. The metal band seems to be on another indefinite hiatus. I'm thinking of getting a used omen 7 extreme to cover the downtuned side of things (and budget friendly).

There's two things I've been thinking of: a superstrat - either Charvel a Fender (black guard, 1 vol no tone, 1 bucker), something with P90's (Gibson SG comes to mind), just saw a new line from Gibson with mini-HB's.

I have asked my builder buddy in Quebec for a quote on putting together my own version of the Charvel Wild Card #6 (dreamsicle, H/S). I also found said Dreamsicle on ss.arg for a reasonable price. I think there's HST involved if I go that route though.

There's a Gibson SG classic for sale in Toronto in cherry red, $900 I think. Depending on how long it lasts I can probably get it for a little less.

I decided to expand my search to Ontario-wide (Thanks Kijiji, CL won't let me!) and try some other names. Searched Hamer for kicks, and found a good looking USA Studio from '03. As some of you may remember, I had a studio custom a few years ago - hands down one of the best guitars I've ever picked up. Unfortunately someone swapped pickups in this, which means that oh-so-tidy wiring job is probably no more. However, they're asking $800 for it and may be flexible. I have a pickup here and have inquired about if Jon can make me a bucker-sized P90.

I know the Hamer is easily the best bang for the buck, but I also know I'd enjoy the Charvel (I currently don't have a giggable strat). P90's are just plain fun, as I learned when my friends brought their Jr's over.

Here's the Hamer (it'd get black pickups and chrome rings)

TL: DR

I have a guitar I'm not using much and I'm interested in getting something I'll play more often. P90's are fun, superstrats are fun, and that Hamer is a ton of guitar for the money.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Why not build a superstrat with P-90s?! Or a pair of P-Rails?

For what the Wild Card would set you back, you could make a pretty killer guitar from Warmoth.

For $372, you could get this body:

$292 for this neck:

... and that gives you a few hundred to play with for hardware and pickups. Seems like a no-brainer to me. :)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darren it's been an idea for sure! I'll look up the ole P-rails

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
P-Rails are bad ass. And I second Warmoth. The two necks I've had are awesome, and their options and customer service are great. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat (if only ergo 8 strings weren't calling my name :lol:). I wanna do a white humbucker tele with a tortoiseshell pickguard and all rosewood neck something fierce.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted

Originally I wanted a slime green body, then D posts a trans top.. Jerk..

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

As much as I love Hamers, you do already have an LPish guitar.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Why not build a superstrat with P-90s?! Or a pair of P-Rails?

For what the Wild Card would set you back, you could make a pretty killer guitar from Warmoth.

For $372, you could get this body:

$292 for this neck:

... and that gives you a few hundred to play with for hardware and pickups. Seems like a no-brainer to me. :)
But that makes + - 675$, without any hardware in it and the Charvel Wild Card can be found for more or less. 850$. The Warmoth way won't be cheaper.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted

I do indeed have the LP style in the pack already. Something alder with a humbucker should sound pretty different then my tele. But then, get that SG and put P-rials in it would get pretty interesting as well.

It's a pity the FR guitars i've had dont see much play time.

The other appeal of a strat body is that forearm contour.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah, but LOOK at that green monster! :D

Warmoth stuff can be had for cheaper, but i was looking at the finished stuff and wanted to show something at least a little drool-inducing. ;)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'd go for the Warmoth build or the Hamer. I personally don't think the Charvels are any better than a good Warmoth build put together well, though they are nice guitars.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wirelessly posted

Part of the appeal of the hamer is that it's $2500 worth of guitar for $800 (or less).

What's the ballpark figure for everything needed for a strat after body and neck?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm assuming you'd want something like a recessed Tune-O-Matic? $25 for a Gotoh, $75 for a TonePros (which is ridiculous). Budget about $100 for a nice set of Schaller locking tuners, $200 for a set of P-Rails plus pots & switches, maybe another $50 or so for miscellaneous hardware (strap locks, neck plate, etc.)

So maybe another $300 to $400 total. You could go with a cheaper body and neck and do your own "primer scream" treatment for a lot less. But you could easily put together a nice build for around $800 to $1000, and an even nicer one for a couple hundred more.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the superstrat, I'm thinking more along the "no frills, just sex appeal" approach as far as the woods. I don't need a flame maple neck on a 5A flame top haha.

I still like the H/S design of that Charvel. I also have my J S Moore Black Widow (can be split) pickup currently not doing anything, which would mean I'd need hardware and a neck single if I went that route.

I want P90's, but I think I want them in an SG more than anything else.

What about a used fender US strat, swap the body for a warmoth with the pickup configuration I want and go that route? I'd have everything except the pickguard, 3-way and knob/pot.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

That would work. You could even save a bit by going with a MexiStrat.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wirelessly posted

darren said:
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

That would work. You could even save a bit by going with a MexiStrat.
This was a plan a few months ago.

Or I could get a 212 cab for the smaller shows..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts