Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Shawn Lane is great and all, but this thread needs more Hendrix, because without Hendrix, Shawn Lane would have been an elevator music composer.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
This solo-ish part of this song @1:59 gave me the creeps when I was young.

My dad's vinyl has a steamboat on the label. For some reason, watching it spin on the turntable gave me this dark imagery along with the song.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
The ONLY youtube vids I don't like of Shawn Lane are actually some of the Hendrix covers

For example, that very last bit of noodling when it's just him playing:

I consider Shawn's playing to generally be very tasteful and always true to the context of the music, but that was honestly just cringe worthy and just totally wankery at best

I think as far as that hot rodded blues rock style goes, Satch is king.
For example, the first G3 DVD, with Eric Johnson, Vai and of course Satch.
On Red House, Vai always seems really out of place, like he doesn't 'understand' how to play that style of music, just not at all convincing, but Satch's playing would make you think he was practically born being able to play that stuff. Getting Albert King style licks, but making them his own without ever sounding disingenuous, and really into that Hendrix-y blues rock vibe.
Lane is good, but I just don't feel he really tackles that style of shreddy blues rock as well as some other guys out there :shrug

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
^
You can find a much better recorded (live) version of 'All Along The Watchtower' by Shawn on Guitar's Practicing Musicians Vol. 3. It is indeed epic. I far prefer it to Hendrix's version, and it's probably my fav. Hendrix song. :agreed:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts